slow cooker

I'm thinking of getting one of these but am unwilling to shell out on something that will be used twice then be kitchen decoration for a year before being put into a dark cupboard. Bitter images of my magimix spring to mind. So my questions are; Do you have one? If you have one, or have had one, how much do you use it? Which are the best buys (needs to service a family of 6), and what do you cook in them?

SW

I am teased by friends for extolling the virtues of the slow cooker - or the magic pot as its called in our house! Big fan of the original 'crock pot' - fantastic when your working - we make irish stew, spag bol, chilli, curries and endless casseroles. Any meat/veg combo seems to work. Literally bung it all in in the morning and come home to a meal. My tip is to thicken the dish at the end ( flour and butter roux or cornflower ) as the liquid doesnt reduce down like it does in pan. It reminds me of that bit in Bridget Jones where her mum is trying to convince her to get one and is talking about chopping veg before she goes to work and she says 'Christ mother I can barely make a glass of water before work!'

I was all for getting a slow cooker until I saw these which look even better - is that possible??? Works in the same way - shove ingredients in, cook for ten-20 minutes, but THEN you switch if OFF and it cooks in its own heat. Basically an old hay box idea/big thermos flask I suppose. They're not cheap though. Anyone used one??

H

http://www.thermalcookware.com/

http://www.mrdscookware.co.uk/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1997835&page=2

http://questionersgardentime.blogspot.com/2009/02/using-urban-hay-box.html

Have a slow cooker, used it and been fine but really don't like (trust) the idea of leaving the house with something plugged in so always only did when at home so totally defeats the whole idea. Friend got a gift of one of the quick convection things which blew up (luckily while she was in) so my advice would be put your stew/casserole in the oven in the oven in the evening when you get home and reheat the following day will taste better anyway as food always does the next day

I'm contemplating getting one too. Although I wouldn't use it much. I tend to just slow cook in the oven. Sainsbury have a breville cream one on offer at the moment down to ?14.99, might have to try getting it in store though as sold out online. Think it serves upto 8. Might be worth that price if you want to try it out. It comes highly recommended, 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Thanks everyone, I think I will invest in one, though the updated Haybox idea does have some appeal & I'll investigate that further. Does anyone have a slowcooker that they no longer use that they might be willing to loan out for a few months? It would be good to 'trial' one if I can.

I take on board your H&S fears ontheedge, but given the number of electrial items in my house that I happily leave plugged in when I leave for the day I think I can bear to carry the risk. Besides, I can't quite work out your timeline for food preparation & consumption. Am I eating the casserole the day after I've made it? What do I have for dinner the evening I get home?

Totally love my slow cooker and do all sorts in it. Pulled pork is delicious, stews, curries, casseroles, roasts, even cakes allegedly...

Leaving it on is only like leaving a radio on, or the TV plugged in with the standby light on as the electricity used is so minimal (hence why they are so economical, 8 hours of slow cooking is much less than 45 minutes blasted in the oven).

I have the Tefal 4 in 1 rice cooker which is awesome as it makes the most amazing, fluffy rice as well. We got it four years ago when we got married but only started using it last year - it's a godsend with a baby/toddler; partly as my toddler likes to play around with his toys in the morning (as if he forgot about them overnight!) whereas in the late afternoon/evening he wants more cuddles and attention.

The major key though, is keep it out, on the worktop, ready to use, in view! If you hide it away in a cupboard it won't get used but since we keep our (slightly beasty but not too ugly) Tefal on the top, we use it pretty much every day for one thing or another.

No-brainer, especially if you're about to get very busy with your studies SW!

I love my slow cooker. I use it at least one a week (more often in the winter) and make loads of stuff in it. Spag bol, chilli, curry, stews, chops, roast meats. I tend to chuck everything in the night before and stick it in the fridge and just drop the dish into the hotplate when I get up in the morning (I?m out the door at 6am so cant face chopping veg at that time of the morning). Nothing quite like the smug feeling of being at work knowing your dinner is cooking away ready for your return. Top tip is use less liquid that you would if you were cooking in an oven or a hob as the gentle heat of the slow cooker doesn?t evaporate the liquid as much.

i am getting quite sold on the idea reading this thread too...

bst is a rice cooker the same thing basically then? sorry, totally ignorant on this as don't eat much rice but quite like the idea of getting 3 year old more into it. And about to have a 4th mouth to feed once baby is weaned so anything to make meals easier appeals.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one... Although do you think they're more useful if you're working? Technically there's nothing to stop me putting something in the oven in the morning, and I often prep dinner early in the day anyway, so not sure if I'd really benefit from one?

Belle - a rice cooker is similar science I think but not all slow cookers can cook rice and I think vice versa is true but may be wrong - mine has different settings, the rice one is amazing, add water and press go and it works the rest out, literally restaurant level rice every time!

This is our model and I love having both options (plus steam cook which I haven't used):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-RK701115-Steamer-Porridge-Brushed/dp/B000T76URQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330718411&sr=8-1

Totally recommend it!

Crystal7 - I do veggie things in it sometimes, IMO it excels with meat making it (especially cheaper cuts like lamb shoulder) taste really tender, but I've also made yummy lentil and veggie dishes too. A bit of a carnivore household, I'm afraid though, hence why the meat dishes always spring to mind.

Pickle - I don't work, but I am busy in the day, and am very sure you are too!! We always go out in the morning, so I'd be really unlikely to get into anything protracted first thing, but chucking a load of bits in the slow cooker and turning it on is very doable and takes little thought (can put in frozen things too) as I do it around breakfast time and then forget about it til the evening. My model has a 'keep warm' function - think most have this but worth checking as invaluable.

I have one we inherited when my best friends went off to live in Sitges.

I do like it & use it sporadically mostly in the winter months. I find having to cook everything off in a pan in the morning first a bit of a hassle but it seems to suggest the ingredients should go in hot - others dont do this judging by this thread, maybe I'm over cautious about temperature & being sure stuff cooks. A friend of mine puts a raw chicken in breast down & cooks it in hers!!

There is a great website "A year of slow cooking" where it's all they used for their dinners for 12 months, try googling for it - if no joy let me know & I will post a link.

Any hassle in the morning is totally outweighed by coming home to a really yummy meal, almost like having a meal cooked for you! Pickle, I think you would like it if you got one too.

Loving this thread! Molly I've never browned anything off before putting it in and never suffered any harm! I mainly use mine when I'm working but it's also useful if you've got people coming for dinner / lunch and are doing something with them during the day and dont want to have to start cooking when you get back. Did a lovely Jamie recipe with chicken breasts and legs and different varieties of tomatoes - all sticky and very tasty after a days walking in The woods with friends staying recently!

I very rarely brown before either! But sometimes brown at the end to make things look a little nicer and crisp up. YUM YUM YUM!

Did oxtails a few weeks ago from the Nunhead butchers, was so delicious and made a vat of soup from the leftover bones. (sorry vegetarians amongst this thread).

Loving this thread too, and the distraction it is offering me from finding academic references....!

Thanks to lenster & Yak for the offers of a loan. I have one now :)

So,now I need good recipes. Like Crystal7 - if anyone has any veggie recipes I'd be really grateful. Most of our household are confirmed carnivores but sensibleman is a hardened veggie, but also if anyone has any old favourites then I'd be really glad to hear them. I'm a very shaky cook and all the talk of 'cheap cuts' & 'lamb shank' fuddles my head - up to now I've been a strictly chicken breast, roast or spag bol girl. Time to branch out with my slow cooker I think?

Molly - will check out your website recommendation.

Inspired by the thread I remembered I was after one of the thermal ones and found a new one in the charity shop for a bargainous 8 quid! Bit 80s style but looking forward to using it and saving on my gas bills hopefully.

Even has a lock so you can take your food out and about.