New primary school?

So I'm reading the threads about the need for a primary school around here, and not finding the Steiner school particularly attractive. I have a child who will start school in 2015. It seems that the only way to get a new co-ed non-faith school started up is to do it ourselves. So my question is, why not? East Dulwich must be full of parents who could form a pretty formidable group to get a primary school started. My understanding is that the local authority has to provide lots of support and the government gives funding. What do others think?

I said the same on one of those threads. I agree. I would be happy to get involved. I am working full time so would struggle to lead but if there is absolutely no one else able and willing I could perhaps manage!

My understanding is primary, Dorothy.

Alieh, I also work! In fact, I almost didn't start this thread through foolish fear that it would somehow mean I had to start the school myself in my spare time. But a group of us might be able to do this. Eg my husband is a parent governor in an existing local primary, with an Outstanding Ofsted. We must have lots of parents out there with various bits of expertise. I'm willing to read Toby (ick) Young's book if that's what it takes!

Dorothy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh I'm completely confused now - I thought the

> proposed Steiner school was going to be a

> secondary. Where did I get that idea from?

There has been a lot of discussion on the Steiner thread about the academic outcomes for Steiner-Waldorf educated students as far as GCSEs etc are concerned. However, the proposal for the Steiner free-school appears to be for a primanry school.

Personally, I feel that the issue really that a decent co-ed secondary school is needed. All the primary schools in the area are co-ed. And all I think are pretty decent schools doing well. But there is a dearth of co-ed secondary school places.

I agree completely about the need for a new secondary school. I also agree on the quality of existing primaries. I'd be happy for my daughter to attend any of them. The issue is that there are not the places - see other threads on the subject. Further, that the local authority cannot provide extra permanent provision unless there is no interest from any group in doing so themselves. At present the only group who have indicated an interest are a Steiner school and I personally would not want my children to attend that. Other groups may come forward with similar ideas but they may be faith groups or others with drums to bang that are not to the liking of many parents - there is no reason why these groups will not suggest single sex provision.

The present plan is rotating bulge classes until 2015 when some more permanent provision will be needed to meet the demands of the 60-75 children who can't fit into existing primaries. So I would say that to say there is no need for a new primary is wrong.

There is nothing to stop any new school for ED opening as an all-through school with additional places from Year 7 upwards. That way an additional two forms of entry can be created for the immediate primary need in the area by the school opening Reception classes and Year 7 classes in it's first year and growing from there. I don't know the figures for demand on secondary places in this area so I don't know if it would be feasible, but technically it is possible.

I would be interested in this from a personal and professional point of view as I live in the educational back hole in Peckham Rye and my son will need a Primary place in 2016 (there's nothing like planning ahead!). I also have experience putting together a bid for a new Free School (Primary) in a different part of SE London.

It takes a lot of work (as it should, this is public money and children's life chances) and the team putting together the application should have financial, educational project management and legal skills as a minimum. The school's curriculum, ethos and financial viability are all examined. Our application was over 100 pages long when we submitted it and included two very detailed spreadsheets. However I think simonethebeaver is right, there are bound to be many people in this area with the necessary skills to do this very successfully. To clarify on a previous comment earlier in the thread - the Local Authority may look benignly on a new Free School opening in Southwark but they do not provide support for the application, setting up or running of the school as the school would be independent of LA control but state funded. I hope this helps, I think it's a great idea.