any nice vaguely healthy cake recipes?

Our little boy is 2 this week and whilst I am getting a proper cake for his party, my parents are coming down for birthday tea on his actual birthday. I want to make a nice cake but maybe one that is vaguely healthy.

Any tips fron you guys of cakes like this that you cook for your kids?

Thank you!

I agree wholeheartedly with womanofdulwich - a little slice or two of a homemade cake will be far healthier than anything you can buy!

I have to admit that if I'm baking I don't tend to worry about what might be 'healthy', I just let baby knomester have a small amount straight after his meal. Are you thinking healthy in terms of recipes with less sugar in them? I find jam tarts are quite good for this - a simple shortcrust pastry (no added sugar) filled with a small amount of one of the low sugar jams, or a spoonful of homemade fruit compote. Or scones always go down well - there's only a tablespoon (1oz) of sugar in the recipe I use and I sometimes reduce that when I'm adding dried fruit like sultanas or figs which are naturally sweet to the mixture.

How about banana cake, using 3 over ripe bananas?

By adding a generous handful of sultanas/raisins I have managed to cut down the amount of caster sugar by 50g without losing the 'sweetness'.

I also use margerine instead of butter.

Delicious straight from the oven or sliced and warmed in the microwave for 10 seconds.

After being given a glut of parsnips by my father in law yesterday, I tried this parsnip cake: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12983/catherine-berwicks-parsnip-and-maple-syrup-cake

I replaced the pecans with ground almonds, and the orange with lemon (as that's what I had). As its not for a party I've kept it as two cakes - one with a dusting of icing sugar for the little one, and one with some low-fat philly/syrup topping.

Its YUM! And both the children agree too (5 and 17 months)