Working from home

I can't work out what to do when my daughter starts school in September. She is an only child and I really want to be there to pick her up every day / organise play dates etc. But how on earth can you work and be there for pick up? I am looking to try and work from home - I used to be a journalist so may try and place some features but I know this is incredibly difficult. Any tips and advice on how to build a career from home and be around for pick up would be amazing? Or, what child care options are there for after school? I am thinking particularly as my daughter gets older. There is an afterschool club nearby but I can;t see her wanting to do that after a full day at school, not for a few years anyway. What does everyone do?

Susypx

Childcare swap? So, work from home 2-3x a week and arrange with a friend to pick up DD from school until 5pm, and you could return the favour the days you aren't working?

I'd love to work from home, I am meant to be going back to lecturing in Sept (babies willl be 14mo and 2y9mo)but finding the right childcare for us is a nightmare. I may end up doing the accounts/book-keeping/job bookings for our family business from home...

yes think the childcare swap is a good idea, only problem is that obviously most others have siblings which works ok when they are younger but I would have thought older ones would get a little bored with two little ones running around. I just need to find the work now. Would be lovely just to have a couple of days in an office and then try and do some freelance stuff at home as well (problem is that I think everyone wants that!!). Thanks for suggestions.

Susyx

I'm a freelance editor and work from home during school hours, so I'm always there for pick-up/drop-off. It's effectively working part-time, 9.15 to 3.15 every day. Inevitably I do end up working quite often in the evenings and weekends when I'm up against a deadline but for me it's worth it as I really like being there for the kids on a daily basis. This is especially as they get older and they need me for 'mummy stuff' like emotional support, arranging playdates or helping with school projects, which is harder to farm out to a nanny unless you are particularly lucky.

The downsides? Holidays are a nightmare, as I find it hard to turn down interesting projects. And if either child is sick, my husband and I have unseemly wrangles about whose work is more important that day. Most of my clients know not to phone me after 3.15, but I still get the odd person wanting to discuss the finer points of a manuscript while I'm trying to make tea and sort out a Lego dispute. Oh, and the days go REALLY quickly and it can be a wrench to stop and switch to mummy mode when I'm in the middle of something very absorbing. That said, though, I'm finding this balance better than when I used to work full-time three days a week. So I'd say go for it. Good luck!