Country pub with good food - recommendations needed

Can anyone recommend a good country pub or restaurant within, say, one and a half hours' drive from East Dulwich? I'm celebrating a family birthday on Sunday with my parents and kids, so I want somewhere where the food is a bit more special than the usual country pub grub (i.e. not prepared centrally and heated up in a microwave), but not anywhere stuffy with swagged curtains and disapproving locals. Ideally somewhere in a pretty location where we can go out for a walk afterwards - Kent, Surrey, that kind of area.

Just tried the Parrot in Surrey and it was fully booked so am now having a mini-panic I've left it too late to find anywhere nice... Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

I met up with some friends here last week

http://www.theploughinneynsford.co.uk/

Food and service were fantastic. Highly recommended. Not sure how you are planning to get there but the train goes from Peckham Rye to Eynsford and takes about half an hour ? so nothing to stop you having a cheeky bottle of plonk with your meal. If you are driving there is a large car park. The staff made a huge fuss over the children and provided booster seats.

I was going to say the Plough in Eynsford too! Really lovely pub, you feel like you are in the countryside and there is a ruined Norman castle in the village the kids could explore after lunch. And it is great being able to get the train and not have to worry about driving out of London.

That's a great idea, thank you - I have actually been there before and it's exactly the kind of thing I'm after, so I'd be happy to go again. But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be interested to hear. There must be more than one decent pub within an easy drive of south London! (There's clearly a gap in the market out there...)