homebirth info

Can anyone recommended any books regarding homebirths?

Im really considering this as an option as im expecting our second child. I did go into hospital with our first as i didn't know what to expect. The birth of my first child went fine I just couldn't manage the pain and ended up having an epi dueral etc which I really want to avoid second time round.

I have my midwife appointment this afternoon so obviously will talk to her as well.

Don't know about a book but I think the community midwives at kings hold a homebirth talk at their base near the hospital once a month on sat am. Anyone can go along. Sorry I don't know exact details.

In terms of dealing with pain, I found yoga extremely useful both times. Some women find pregnancy yoga a bit slow, but I found that if you can embrace that slow pace and learn to totally focus on breathing then you may be able to breathe through the contractions and delivery and not let the pain distract you.

Not specifically on homebirths, but I would highly recoomend this book by Maggie Howell which I used when preparing for mine:

http://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/33.html

I used it in conjunction with the natal hypnotherapy CDs (they have a specific home birth set), and found the book invaluable and definitely think you could read it without needing to get the CDs as well.

I can also recommend the hypnobirthing course run by calm baby calm birth. Mine was an almost home birth as I got transferred to king's after a long 2nd stage due to malposition. Loved being at home for most of it and the hypnobirthing meant it was relatively painless.

Awight Duchess (sorry couldn't resist)!

Hmmm, it might be worth phoning the Brierley Midwives and asking if you can pop along for a chat with them. Even if you sign up for a home birth you CAN change you mind later and go to hospital after all - BUT if you don't book a Home birth early on you may well miss out on getting one due to lack of midwives.

So if I were you, whilst you ponder, I'd book in with the Brierley (assuming you are within the catchment) and go for a chat with them.

Their office number is: 020 3299 6163

Good luck - I had 2 home births and they were wonderful. I did Pregnancy Yoga first time around and I think that helped with breathing and pain management, but must admit I was also very lucky to have quite short labours, and babies under 8lbs!!

The Lanes and Oakwood midwifery groups, run out of DMC and Forest Hill Rd, are both also highly supportive of home birth, if you fancy getting in touch with either. I had a lovely home birth with Oakwood.

I third the recommendation for Sophie at Calm Birth Calm Baby. She was superb.

I agree with Sunbob, re the yoga. I didn't specifically do pregnancy yoga, but I have done different forms of yoga over the years. Yoga helps you engage with your body and your breathing. It can help you visualize pain in ways that are productive instead of frightening, and this helps makes the pain endurable rather than unbearable.

I would also really highly recommend antenatal acupncture. Giles Davies and Ella Keepax are both excellent. Do a search with their names. They have numerous recommendations on the Forum.

And finally, if you haven't looked into this, it's worth reading up:http://www.epi-no.co.uk/ .

I just did manual massage. I didn't know about EpiNo, or I would have tried it! I had a straightforward vaginal birth of a relatively large baby, and NO STITCHES!

I found the homebirth.org.uk website really helpful for the practicalities, such as hiring birthing pools etc. I did pregnancy yoga at a place in Honor Oak, which was really useful for breathing and I read Deepak Chopra's book - holistic guide to pregnancy and childbirth. He advised lovely things like lavender bags and, though it was a bit 'American' in parts, it was very calming.

Good luck with your homebirth.

I second Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - wonderful book. She also has a website with recent articles and videos. I read it before both of my home births and I think it really helped me prepare mentally. I did reflexology the first time round throughout the pregnancy and yoga with Kamal in Honor Oak Park the second time. I've never really been a big yoga fan, but it definitely helped me with the breathing and relaxation.

http://www.chaithanyayogaschool.com/

I do think good, supportive midwives make a difference to the experience and how you feel about it too. I was with Oakwood both times and they were amazing.

Good Luck !

Brierley Midwives who are A-MAZ-ING.

Ina May Gaskin book (as recommended above) - but I took a few of the chapters with a pinch of salt.

Hypnobirthing (and I also had hypnotherapy after a challenging first birth in hospital)

Epi-No use to psychologically and physically prepare me for the crowning and birthing.

And belief - lots of belief - your body is meant to birth. That doesn't mean it's easy - but belief, the epi-no, the amazing Brierley and the hypnotherapy played a large part in my homebirth with number 2. 3 hours labour from first twinge to birth - no gas and air etc. Just breathing and focus. 9lb 14oz boy with his hand up by his head (little sod). No damage and I'm a little 5'2".

It's a lovely thing to aim for - I would have been happy wherever I was needed to be. If there'd been a medical reason to be in hospital, I wouldn't have hesitated to get myself there. But I knew that fundamentally, at home, on the floor, next to my bed, was where I thought I'd be relaxed enough to birth well without the damage of number 1.

Wishing you the best of luck. I'm done with my two but am ridiculously broody!

Hi duchess, I had a homebirth with brierley, very positive experience and happy to talk to you about homebirth if you like? I do think thaf it helps to be prepared, i practised s lot of yoga and did lots of birth visualisation CDs which are brilliant for getting you into the zone, mentally and physically. Ina may gaskin is great as others have mentioned, also dr gowri motha, the gentle birthing method was brilliant too and gave practical advice for each stage of pregnancy, and lovely massages yr partner can do. Having a partner actively involved (mine supplied pain relief in the form of acupressure) makes the experience even better for both of you too. I teach pregnancy yoga in Nunhead on Tuesday evenings, www.facebook.com/catherinearnoldyoga

Contact me if you want to chat further: 07940705537, [email protected]

I had a homebirth with my first baby and used natal hypnotherapy (read the Maggie Howell book mentioned by Vickster above and used the CDs) - it really worked for me as I have a VERY low pain threshold yet somehow managed to stay calm and focused throughout (moreorless!). It is quite time consuming though - I listened to the CD (40 mins) almost every day from around 6 months. All the best with your plans x

Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> they now have their base near King's, SW, down

> that side street to the right before the carpark.

> They still do their meet the midwives sessions at

> Dulwich Hospital though.

Thanks Belle, it helps if I can at least sound like I know what I'm talking about in my classes!!

Hi thanks for all your wonderful posts I have read them all. Unfortuntaly im an ex east dulwicher, but i will definatly look into some of the book and cd's people have mentioned on hhere. I am going to do pregnancy yoga as i don't want to freak out again when the pain kicks in like it did with my first. X