more breast feeding advice

kamath

Hi, sorry for yet another post about breast feeding . I am just in a bit of a pickle and about to give up. I have been feeding my daughter for 7 weeks and still seem to be finding it very, very hard indeed - is this normal ?

On week 3 I saw 2 different breast feeding consultants and both told me that attachment was fine and no problems. They were very helpful. But I then developed thrush in my breast and it was very painful. After 3 weeks of treatment it finally went.

Now the problem I have is that my daughter seems to snack all the time and I am always worried that she hasn't taken enough milk. She seems to take an okay feed from one side, then falls asleep. When I wake her by changing her nappy etc she will feed for a short time but stop. She also gets very windy when on the breast so pull off a lot.

Also sometimes it feels like I am forcing her on the breast as I think she is hungry and she will cry and cry but not attach but if I offer her a finger or dummy to suck she sucks like mad - so assume she is hungry.

I also have a 2 year old so trips to the park etc are so hard as she seems to need to snack all the time and this makes things hard when running after a 2 year old.

I was unable to feed my first child so felt so happy when I could feed my daughter but at least with the bottle I knew how much my son was getting.

Just feeling it's all getting too much but really want to carry on breast feeding but also close to giving up.

Hope this make sense and any tip/advise will be very appreciated.

Many Thanks

Who exactly have you seen? Gave you been up to kings to see Clare kedves? Might be worth calling her.

It does sound as if there is a problem. Your baby sounds like my last baby (who was eventually dx with a posterior tongue tie)

Frustrated when feeding

Bobbed on and off the breast

Rarely came off satisfied

Wanted to feed again after an hour

Sometimes wouldn't latched and cried in frustration

Very windy

No, this doesn't sound normal - sounds very much like my oldest who was diagnosed with tongue tie. I agree with Fuschia, try to see someone about it, as there may be help available.

By 7 weeks things should be getting much easier, having since fed two more babies I realise now just how difficult my son was.

Brilliant for persevering, but equally don't beat yourself up if you decide that you want to stop feeding her, you've done so well to get this far with the problems you've had and a 2 year old to deal with!

Good luck

P x

Hi, I saw a consultant from Kings and one from Croydon - Katie Fisher and she checked for tongue tie and have the all clear. She is pooing and weeing and putting on weight. Just feels like she should be doing bigger feeds. x

Are you just a week on from sorting the thrush? She is clear if it too?

I wonder if it's a growth spurt/ making up for reduced feeding while you had the thrush

Can you make it through another week then dedicate next weekend (-

'assuming partner around) to a 'baby moon' and feed as much as you can, share a bath, lots of skin to skin, feed as much as possible ... See whether you start to turn a corner after that

yeah I will give it another week and see if it settles down . People just seem to say that 6 weeks is when it gets easier and maybe it has a little . The snacking seems to be more every other day . Thrush has only just cleared - it was very bad .

Will keep trying. She has put on weight so guess that's good -from 7.5lbs to 11.5lbs in just under 7 weeks (and she was 5 days early),

Thank you for your help x

Wow, that weight gain is amazing! My youngest (7.5 weeks) was 6lbs 3 at birth and is now just over 8lbs - and she takes big feeds. Your milk is obviously good stuff :)

That's reassuring that you've already been checked for tongue tie, here's hoping it gets easier from here for you.

Sounds similar to my 9-week old. I posted about suspected tongue tie and got bags of good advice here. Katie Fisher diagnosed it, we had the procedure done at King's and his windiness has got better but he still bobs on and off breast. He also sometimes latches on, gets frustrated and comes off but if I give him a dummy or my finger, sucks like mad. In the last few days, I have noticed that he does this when he is over tired and it isn't a sign of hunger so when this happens, I just put him in a sling, give him a dummy and walk round the house to try and get him to sleep. I also have a two year old so easier said than done,

Could your little one be wanting to latch in because she is tired but not actually wanting any milk? I think as long as she is putting on weight (which she obviosuly is!) and pooing ok, try not to worry about whether she is getting enough milk. It's always hard to know with breast fed babies how much milk they are taking anyway. Hope things get a bit easier for you

I think you are right anydown. I have discovered today that I think she is tired and not hungry sometimes and the sling calms her down and then she wakes 2 hours later and does a better feed.

Thank you all for advise.

I still thin breast feeding is tough but hope it gets more enjoyable soon. All worth it x

Hello Kamath,

here is Annette i am working private as Lactation Consultant and Maternity Nurse, based in East Dulwich and i do home visits.I am also a qualified Childrens Nurse and worked for many years in a Hospital as the Breastfeeding Support Nurse.

How are you doing now with hat you described a few days ago?

If you still need some help please contact me: 07919435597 and have a look at www.annetzki.com.

Best wishes with your milky business :)

Kind regards

Annette