Putting car seat cover in washing machine?

Trish

My 16 month old boy was very ill in the car a week or so ago. Despite washing the entire car seat and cover, I can't get rid of the smell. Any top tips? Has anyone put their car seat cover in the washing machine? I realise I probably should have used biological washing liquid rather than non-bio. Need to attack it again this weekend!

Thanks

Trish

We washed ours a few months ago after a particularly foody/sticky long journey.

We put it in on the lowest heat possible (ours is a rear-facing 2-way Britax Elite seat) and aired it dry over a period of days, not even on radiator. Despite this, it was a REALLY tight fit and took a bit of stretching and elbow grease to get it back on so just be really careful! Maybe a short cycle would help as well.

Hope this helps! Others may have some odour-removing tips that don't require the machine. I don't think we'll wash ours again in case it shrinks beyond all recognition! Our maxi cosi infant cover was absolutely fine though so I think it depends.

Be sure to check your laundry detergent, regardless bio or not. It needs to say specifically that it's for delicate fabrics. I washed a "machine washable" wool cardigan in cold water on the handwash cycle, and it still shrank. Seriously, it was like for a Barbie doll when it came out of my machine! :( When I checked the detergent label, it said Not Suitable for Wool or Delicates. Argh!!! Now I use Ecover delicate laundry detergent on anything similar, including mixed fabrics like the carseat cover. Also, if you're not sure about putting it in your machine, try just soaking it overnight in a bucket of cold soapy water, rinse and dripdry the next day. Although Little Saff's carseat cover has come through the machine fine, cold wash w/ low spin. The thing I struggled the most with was getting the straps back into place. I think you need an engineering degree for that. xx

Bicarbonate of soda did an amazing job of getting rid of the smell of sick from our daughter's bedroom carpet. Might be worth trying soaking the car seat in water with plenty of bicarb before you try the washing machine.

Well I took the gamble and stuck it on a cycle for sensitive garments and it came out good as new, smelling a whole lot better - wish I'd just shoved it in the washing machine in the past now - far easier than hand washing!

Napisan is the only way with the smelly things in the machine. Currently toilet training twins and my

life would t be worth living otherwise. It is non bio and doesn't bleach BTW.

If its a carpet or non-wash item then bicarbonate of soda gets the smells out (puke on carpet, etc...).

Lavender oil To banish the memory, then Gin!