Oakfield Prep School

annaP

• 2 weeks later...

Both my children go to Oakfield and my youngest is in the nursery. They are both very happy there and I have to say the nursery is excellent. He went when he was only two and his developemnt has come on at a pace since being there - a stark difference from the nursery he was at before this. I would suggest if you are looking for entry this September that you call asap as I know places get very booked up - they may even be full for this year. Once you are in then the child is able to progress up until they leave for secondary school.

I know there are lots of other schools in the area (both private and state) but we liked Oakfield for the atmosphere. It is warm and caring and not like some of the other preps that are very hot-house in their attitide. We also like the cultural mix. I would definitely recommend it but you should have a look for yourself.

I contacted Oakfield prep to ask if they had any spaces in Year 2. They said they did. I said I was interested to come and see the school, and mentioned my child has mild additional needs. They declined us without me being allowed to visit the school and without them meeting my child on the basis they couldn't provide proper support. I queried how they could know what support was required. They stuck with their decision. Make of that what you will.

In the interests of balance, I have met with this attitude from almost every independent school I have approached.

[Edited to correct dreadful spelling and grammar!]

Thanks for the replies. Your replies are both encouraging and disappointing (with regards to closing their doors to children who need a little extra help).

Leaglebeagle - I am sorry you have come across such difficulty with the schools you have approached. Quite shameful.

That's absolutely disgraceful - surely that's discrimination, particularly if the child's needs have not even been assessed. I can't think how that makes you feel as a parent.

But why would they decline you like that?

I have no experience of private schools, so I'm interested to hear.

• 1 month later...
I find that very strange as I also contacted regarding a place in year 2 recently. I mentioned my sons mild learning needs and was told they have a learning support department and would make sure the head of this department met my son on his assessment morning, which she did. They were very helpful and he had a great morning.