Any tips for breastfeeding at a wedding... outfit etc?

MrsMc

Taking my daughter to a wedding in May. Any great ideas about outfit choice and general wisdom for the day? Been looking for breastfeeding dresses today on the web and totally uninspired. Thinking separates could be the way forward?

I bought a plain black B/f dress in Pretty Pregnant for a wedding reception, I then made it more interesting with accessories.

I only wore it once or twice, put it for sale on here but had no takers so still have it.

Your welcome to try it on and borrow x

I went to three weddings this year with my little baby in tow

Wedding one, silk dress with drawstring top (looks better than it sounds!)

Wedding two, silk dress with really wide/long down the body sleeves (slightly japaneese) so I could pull them over & latch baby on

Wedding three a dress I could pull down & a nice shawl to cover modesty

Don't get something you don't like, use what you have or get something you like & will wear again, you just need to be creative about how to get baby to nipple in an subtle way!

I love the 'milker' range of b/f clothes.

Bella Mama have a selection of different brands and dresses, have a look?

I second going to Pretty Pregnant to see what dresses they have in.

I find B/f dresses a bit of hit and miss affair, but I have found some which work well for me but lots which didn't.

Not a wedding, but I had to get a dress for a smart dinner while br feeding & found a wrap dress the perfect mix of smart, comfy & boob-ability - wore a camisole under so dress went down & cami up so didn't feel too exposed. Was also forgiving on my wobbly bits! xx

Check out non-breastfeeding dresses too - v neck styles can work well. A friend inspired me after she bought a trendy v-neck dress from Warehouse for a wedding and was able to breast-feed in it. I found a lovely crossover/v-neck dress in H&M that was ideal for breastfeeding discreetly too - both were not to expensive and easily wearable again.

A sling could be really useful.

http://www.sakurabloom.com/pages/silk-collections/

I thought these silk ringslings were gorgeous. I'm only sorry that I didn't have a wedding etc to go to when Little Saff was tiny, so I could have had an excuse to buy one of these! (Settled for just plain cotton sling.) I think a silk sling would look stunning over a black dress with matching accessories. When your LO outgrows the sling, you could always have it made into a beautiful wrap. xx

• 4 months later...

I hear you ladies. I know what you are saying as I breastfed my first for 18 months and still feeding my 6m old. Nursing clothes and dry clean are not the best combination. BUT, in the name of style and all. Sometimes everyday basic 100% cotton just dones't cut it IMO! I was quite sick of just wearing jersey wrap dresses (with bobbles after so many washes) to every special occasion :)

In actual fact, that particular dress is made of very stain resistant material so I have spot cleaned it with damp cloth and it's alwasy come out completely clean. Have hand washed it too and it's fine although that's not the manufacturer's recommendation.

Smiler, the dress is free size and has no hard fittings anywhere on the dress so it looks great on most body shapes and sizes that I have seen.

Incidentally, I'm taking a break from Lush Mummy as finding it hard to fit around my two boys, especially seeing as I'm going back to my day job soon. We are offering 30% off for all ED forumites (code: "EDFORUM"). You are welcome to come and try them on too.

Ah, keep meaning to do this... friend's wedding in August! I've been finding that a lot of b/fing dresses are aimed at women in the early postpartum days. I have my waist back, so something with a bit more shape would suit me, but it isn't so easy to find what fits in the right colours and styles.

• 11 months later...

Reviving this thread to see whether anyone has any inspiration for a dress for a wedding late July? Will be in France so likely to be warmer than here too so reluctant to layer up too much. Baby wil be 3 months so likely to still be feeding on a pretty regular basis.

Thanks