Baby Shower Gift

Hiya

I've asked this on another thread but the date is fast approaching and I'm clueless.

I'm taking Saffron's advice (thanks saffron!)

and would like to get a present for my friend rather than the baby.

It's a little tricky (or maybe I'm over sensitive); she earns considerably more than me and I couldn't afford the beauty treatments, jewellery etc that she would be used to getting. I won't be able to treat her in that way.

Can anyone share their experiences of meaningful gifts (whilst motherhood was looming! they appreciated, perhaps irrespective of the baby shower context?

Not sure if this has been suggested before but I went to a baby shower last weekend and pulled together a list of things that I called random but essential for during and post labour that a new mum wouldn't necessarily get or think of. It included for labour bendy straws, flannel, magicool spray as so hot in hospital, pack of haribo and for post almond oil for baby massage, tea tree oil, infacol, lanolin cream and breast pads. You can really spend as much as you want but I thought it was more of a personal present with some thought behind it.