Advice on posterior tounge tie Please

My two week old was diagnosed by clare at kings earlier this evening. I almost cied with relief as there is finally an explanation to his feeding issues and hysterical crying spells. She has referred him to have his ounge snipped but as always this will take time. I dont think i have his time in me and just want lil one to get it sorted. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Do you know of any consultants who can do this Privately so he doesnt have to wait? I would really as always appreciate any advice.

May i just say- i love this forum and all the wisdom out there. As a sleepdeprived first time mum- your experience is so reassuring.

Please respond, thanks

I remember that feeling of relief so well when I got the same diagnosis 5 years ago for my son.

Katie Fisher will do a consultation and the snip privately, it costs around ?90 and she does it at her home in Croydon. If you search her name on the forum you should find her contact details. I looked into seeing her with my new baby and having rung on a Wed was offered an appointment just a couple of days later.

Good luck, and keep us updated with progress.

Pippa x

We had ours done privately at kings but it was about ?450

Were desperate as it was just before Christmas

He also had a small chin and a spoon shaped palate

It took a further 4 weeks to get him matching properly - posterior tongue tie is harder to treat and although they emphasised he had to bf every 3h after the op, T that point he wasn't bf at all!

I hope things aren't at such a low point for you

After having the snip, you may need to sort out plenty of hands on support in the days following

Good luck!

X

Katie Fisher is a lactation consultant who works at kings and privately, if you wait to have it done at Kings, the chances are high you would have her doing the procedure in any case, as Mr.Patel the tongue tie consultant only attends 2 clinics a month I think, and tongue tie clinic runs several afternoons a week, but if you don't want to wait then she can do it privately for you - there are a few people on here who have opted for that. I'm afraid I can't remember if she will come to your house or if you would have to go to hers in Croydon, can someone clarify?

Not sure what Clare Kedves will have told you about the waiting time at Kings but as soon as you have jumped through the hoop of having a 2nd opinion (this can be by the same person, i.e Clare, the very next day after the first opinion, clare knows this is ridiculous red tape but the referral to the clinic requires it!!) you will get referred, and as the tongue tie clinic runs several afternoons a week, you may get a slot for the procedure within the next few days?

If you can't wait, having Katie Fisher do it privately will be money well spent as things will get so much easier after that, hang in there..

have just seen on a previous thread that her number is 07949176776 and with a consultation and the procedure, it would cost you ?120. link to that thread here - more info

My baby also had posterior tongue tie but this was not spotted until 6 months after a grim 6 months feeding, and in the end we didn't have the snip for various reasons, but we did go through the whole referral system with Clare, attend the clinic,

consult with Mr.Patel and Katie Fisher, so familiar with the system even though our daughter still has a posterior tongue tie (mercifully not a problem at 13 months!)

Katie Fisher came to our house in ED to do the diagnosis and referral as I couldn't travel to Crydon with c-section recovery. We than had the snip done privately by Dr Patel at King's but thankfully was covered by work medical insruance - worth just checking if your work provides family medical insurance?

All in all, it took about a week from me suspecting a tongue tie to getting the snip done. Pretty swift!

I had my son's anterior tongue tie sniped last week. We saw Katie Fisher at her home on the Tuesday, where she confirmed the tongue tie and also the thrush that we also currently have. Oh the joys! We then booked to have the snip at the private clinic she runs with Mr Patel (based in Thornton heath) on the Friday. It's a fairly new venture for them I believe. The Op was done by Mr Patel, and was very quick. It cost ?120 for the procedure and ?30 for the follow up session a week later. We have to do the 3 hourly feeds, although it's still a miracle if he goes that long (he's a big baby and very hungry)He does seem to be feeding more efficiently though. We also were advised to massage the wound 2-3 times a day. Which is easier said than done on a 5 week old.

The Kings referal system does seem crazy. Also not sure why it's not routinely checked for at birth? It seems to be such a common problem, and can make those first weeks of trying to work out what the problem is very frustrating for mother and baby.

Hope you get it resolved asap.

Hope you get it resolved asap.

Hey all,

Yes we are opting for the Private route too, as do not have it in me to wait 'a couPle of weeks'. Seeing katie tmrw and if confirmed mr patel in thornton heath On friday. I am concerned about three hourly feeds as my milk supply isnt great but fingers crossed. I am Praying it all will get better. Tomo how are you getting on now Or Is it too early to tell?

C xx

Y

I do hope it all works out for you and your baby midivydale. I'm glad you've managed to get appointments sorted because the sooner it's sorted the better. Hopefully with regular feeds your milk supply will increase so try not to worry about that.

Someone mentioned massaging under baby's tongue after the snip - it's really important that you do this because the tie can grown back very quickly.

I just wanted to say hang on in there. We had a similar situation with our baby - posterior tongue tie, thrush, etc - but eventually it all worked itself out and I managed to carry on breastfeeding him until last week when he was just over 18 months old.