I need advice on blw

berbel

Hi, my little one is almost 7 months old, we have been trying some blw. She loves broccoli and pears, mango and strawberry,tryed the butternut squash and sweet potato. while we had good success with some and complete aphaty with others my real dilemma is that she tend to gag a lot.A Carrot almost choked her the first time and she coughed it out the second, it happened in different days the second time I steamed the carrot for over 20 minutes.

Now I am not enjoying the feeding time as much since I am spending all the time scared that she will choke.

I have done some purees and spoon fed her, she actually does not mind it at all,eats all and happily plays with the spoon.

I would love to let her feed herself without the stress and panic I feel at the moment.

Do you have any advice? any recipes that are gag-proof?

Thank you

It's ok for your baby to gag. Gagging and choking are not the same thing. Gagging is a normal reflex in early self-feeding, and it helps your baby to learn about chewing and swallowing. xx

PS: Have a look at these threads:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,740474,740881#msg-740881

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,711517,712195#msg-712195

The gagging phase soon passes and is part of their learning, but I know it can feel worrying to watch it. If you're stressy about it though then for your sake try defo soft finger foods such as soft-ish pieces of banana, avocado, wholegrain rice cake broken into pieces dipped in houmous, spoon half laden with natural yoghurt for them to pick up and suck on, a soft prune to suck on. These happen to be pretty gag-resistant.

Even pur?e fed babies will go through a gagging phase, it's part of learning to manipulate food around the mouth ... Typically occurs when lumps are introduced to the pur?e

True choking would be silent (no air getting through)

All of mine have gagged in the early days, but no harm done

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

We have followed your advices and now we have a more enjoyable meal experience.

I am actually looking forward to see her eat different food and I don't jump up in a panic everytime she brings food to her mouth.

Thank you

my little one gagged even on smooth purees. its horrible and i felt really sorry for him but it got better as he got used to the food. i didn't enjoy the food phase much (still don't!), but it does get better xxx

I'm weaning my 6 month old and he's showing little interest in being spoon fed so have offered some finger foods. He also gags a lot. I'm not worried about this, he's my 2nd and I remember my daughter doing the same. However sometimes he gags and then is really sick i.e. entire contents of stomach over kitchen floor sick. Anyone else experienced this? Is he a bit young finger foods? He's only had soft fruit and veg plus toast so nothing really hard...