Holiday with 16 month old??

Hi, I'm looking for holiday ideas...

Have you been anywhere with your toddler that is warm (in Sept/Oct), by the beach/sea, relaxed, child friendly, with excellent service/food either on site or walking distance so us parents can enjoy a much needed break too?

(Is this too much to ask?) Thanks.

We had a fantastic week at Martinhal in Portugal two weeks ago with our 10month old son. The resort is built for families with a great creche, kids' club, lots of thoughtfully designed play areas, good restaurants, a gym, tennis courts and a lovely spa. One of the on-site restaurants even has a sandpit and trampoline next to the restaurant so that parents can enjoy a slightly more leisurely lunch. However, the best thing about it being a family resort is that no one looks on disapprovingly if LO decides to have a bit of a sense of humour failure.

Martinhal is on the South-westerly tip of the Algarve. It's a really easy 1hr20min drive from Faro airport (we found it and I am a terrible map reader - we missed the first turning) and on an unspoilt coastline - often compared to Cornwall due to its popularity with windsurfers. The hotel and self-catering houses are beautifully finished - high quality furniture and you can rent anything that your son might need - travel cot, high chair, pushchair etc. We got a fabulous low-season deal where we got a 2-bed, 2-bath Ocean view house on half-board occupancy for about ?940 - for all three of us! BA fly from/to City, which is such a low hassle airport and the flight is around 2.5hrs.

My husband and I had a great time at Martinhal because our son was so happy and relaxed. It was very easy to stick to routine because there's no time difference and the childcare was great when we needed it - we used the creche for about 5hrs in total and had babysitting for 4 nights The babysitters (10 euros an hour) also work in the creche and kids club so your son can get to know them during the day. O Terraco is the resort's 'fine dining' restaurant - the food is very good (not quite as good as Eyre Brothers near Old Street but a similar menu) and the wine list is outstanding.

What really makes this place (and I honestly have no affiliation - we just had an amazing holiday) is that the staff are genuinely lovely and adore children. If you have any questions, just PM me!

I second the recommendation for Martinhal - we went when my son was 10 months and all of us enjoyed it. We've also been to Domes of Elounda in Crete last year when my son was about 20 months, which we found similarly relaxing and family friendly - I think I've recommended both places before on the forum if you do a search.