Baby Jogger City Mini recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking to buy either a Maclaren XT or a City Mini as i'd like a stroller which lies flatish for naps and has a decent hood. I know a lot of people with a Maclaren and i'm aware of the pros and cons, but wondered if anyone with a city mini could let me know if they rate it. Or are there any other types of stroller which anyone recommends?

Thanks for your help

Ruth

ruth - when we were trying to find a new single for baby number 2, after decided i hated the P&T in single mode, I had this dilemma. Have actually had both as had a v old XT I got free on the forum for holidays so could compare. Looked at them both in John Lewis and whilst the XT looked good and I know what its advantages are etc, the babyjogger won out hands down. I absolutely love it and we both wish we'd got it at the start for son number 1. We actually got the old model on sale at Halfords, but I believe the new model has some improvements. The sun canopy is brilliant, it lies practically flat, and the fold is awesome. The only thing it took me a bit of time to get used to is that it is longer than a maclaren (as is virtually any other buggy) but it's still pretty neat and easy on buses etc. It feels comfier than a maclaren and T takes most of his naps in it (stationary), so it must be fairly sleep inducing considering how badly he sleeps in his cot at night! Oh, also, crucially, because of the handle it's a lot easier to handle if you've got a toddler you're trying to grab/hold hands with - can do one handed steer. You do have to buy the raincover separately but that's a pretty small drawback. AND you can get a babyjogger toddler step which am considering at the moment.If you already have a Quest/triumph I'd also say a babyjogger would be a better choice.

Hi Ruth

We looked at both for our son as his 'stage 2' pushchair - we started off with the UppaBaby Vista but wanted something for travel. Our son is a rather large and seemed more comfortable in the City Mini, which has a slightly wider seat. Although the City Mini is almost as wide as our Vista, it's so much lighter and nippier. As mentioned by Belle, the fold is amazing and I have had strangers comment by how fabulous it folds (admittedly, have started doing it in a rather ostentatious - look! only one hand! kind of way). Our son also sleeps really well in it.

We bought ours from the A3 Baby Barn and got a free rain cover. The hood is, however, good enough for brief showers. It is the 2012 model and I think that it's meant to have better access to the basket but you still really need to access from the side. Also, our brake seems to have become stiffer. Definitely doesn't pass the flip flop test but a small complaint for a fabulous pram.

I've had the baby jogger from birth for our son. It's the only one I've ever had so I can't compare to other buggies but it was definitely a great buy for us. The one handed pull the strap fold is great and comes into its own in situations like going through airports, especially if you're travelling with bub alone. I took my son out to Australia alone when he was 8 months old and it was possible to have him on one hip and quickly fold buggy with my free hand and whip it onto the scanner at security or off the luggage carousel.

I noticed it was a really common buggy in Australia (about 1 in 4 that I spotted I think) which must be because of the size of the sun shade. The giant hood is a great feature and that combined with the recline make it very sleep inducing in my experience - almost too sleep inducing as our little one has always napped much better in the buggy than in his cot! I never actually bought a rain cover as I had one of those sheepskin stroller bags with a water resistant front (one of my best ever ebay purchases!) and the combination of that zipped up and hood down were fine in the rain.

The wheel base is quite long and wide which means I do get caught on chair legs trying to manoeuvre in and out of cafes and I have to be extra careful crossing roads and driveways because of the length. But on the other hand it is quite reassuringly stable. It has never tipped over backwards even with a weekly shop poked in the basket underneath and slung in shopping bags on the handle and the baby out taken out. I hope that's helpful. Happy buggy shopping!

Just out of interest (& know this is more a question for classifieds!) Does anyone have one their confiding selling/would maybe even be prepared to lend for a w/e so I can show hubbie how fab they are :)) use a Mclaren Quest at the mo but the recline is appalling & we're off to Corfu in a month & think the big sunshade and recline would hugely helpful!

Used since birth of my daughter and LOVE it - she's now 14months. only thing is I still find it heavy to lift one-handed once folded but I think that's just me as others don't have a problem! The handle bar height is not adjustable but my husband (5'10) and I (5'4)haven't found this to be an issue.

Thanks all for your comments - they are really really helpful.

I'm definately coming down in favour of the city mini. My only doubt is the size when in use. I went to mothercare and it measured 4cm wider than my current pram and now i'm worried it will struggle to fit in through the front door as we have a kind of chicane into the kitchen.

Bit cheeky, but does anyone with a city mini fancy popping round to mine for a cuppa so i can test the fit before i order?

I live near the roundabout on goose green at the end of lordship lane...