Moths!

they are the worst thing ever, and always seem to target the best clothes in your wardrobe straight away. We got some sticky traps, which have got a smell which attracts the male moths. This means that the eggs don't get fertilised. It is a long process, but the one which has worked best for us. Definitely less moths this year than last, and hopefully by next year, they will have all gone. moth balls and other traps didn't stop them because they were still able to breed in the little corners we weren't able to reach.

You can get the traps in the DIY shop on Lordship Lane. Or John Lewis or Amazon.

Last year we had millions of moths and their larvae in the carpets, drawers, bottom of the laundry basket etc etc. We spent a fortune on various traps and repellents and got the carpets steam cleaned. I think it helped a lot and we seem to have less than last year, but they are definitely starting to show their horrible faces again.

I think I read this on the forum but was such a useful bit of advice. After hoovering, if you have moths about, empty the dustbag/filter straight away as if not they will happily sit in a perfect dusty place plotting their nefarious attacks.

the sticky traps in boxes are great. the first year we used them i took great pleasure in counting how many got stuck! its amazing how many are about. i got mine from the dry clener on bellenden rd. i think dulwich diy also do them.

Brilliant!!

Will tell my other half...he has a moth problem in his flat, something he has largely ignored (while moaning about the increasing number of holes in his clothes)- he didn't want his patients or people on the bus thinking he smells of moth balls you see....however as they may start commenting on the holes in his clothes soon, it's time for action!!! lol

I am plagued by moths. Thought I had made major progress when I discovered their nests (in my sweater drawer - carnage) and cleaned etc. but no, they are back with a vengeance again. I hate them and would nuke the entire house with moth spray if I could... but since I have small children I really can't bring myself to do so.

Just a bit more food for thought...

do you have children with lots of cuddly toys? well I would advise putting the lot in the freezer and then washing them all. Especially cuddly toys that babies chomp on and then get forgotten around the house.

don't forget to clean under the bed regularly and check for stray socks or clothes fallen behind radiators etc. Prime breeding ground

Do you have lovely vintage furniture? I do... take all drawers out and clean the skeleton of the furniture (where the drawers slot into). Lots of dark, small corners where dust collects and moths nest.

For whatever reason the moths ignore all clothes but those made of wool to chomp on but they nest anywhere - including in cotton/synthetic material

This year I put those sticky moth traps under our chest of drawers and other places low down (rather than just in the wardrobe and on shelves) and have caught loads under the chest of drawers and nothing in the wardrobes! yet. i thought maybe they're coming from gaps in between our floorboards. I have fewer this year, than last. about 4 years ago they were literally shredding every nice jumper and cardi i owned.

Reading on the forum and it seems like lots of people have problems with moths in the house.

As long as you have spiders around they will solve the problem?

If you have moths in your carpets, curtains and (god forbid) bed linen then you have a big problem!