Milk for toddlers on long haul flights

Ko

Baby Ko is two now and we have so far avoided going anywhere on a plane with him! however in a few days we will be travelling long haul with him as we are moving overseas for a while - arghhh (about the thought of a flight with a toddler)!!!!

This is probably a really obvious question so apologies in advance. Baby Ko is a real 'milk monster' and still has it from a bottle (i know, i know, but cups just don't do it for him)... Have you found that the flight attendants are happy to provide cow's milk in your baby bottle and heat up your bottle for you? He will go mad if he can't have it!!

Any advice very much appreciated, many thanks xxx

We've never had any problem getting milk on a flight. Generally I took a full bottle onto the plane with me (taste it going through security) and for the rest of the flight had it provided. That was on trips to and from NZ, so lots of bottles involved!

I think you should be ok to bring your own bottles of milk, or maybe buy some little cartons somewhere in the airport?? (McDonalds??) I would not imagine that they will provide it to you on the plane as even long haul they only seem to have those little cartons for coffee etc. Not sure how far you are going but this has been mainly to Canada for me, flying either Air Canada or BA. Try not to worry too much, it will be fine.

Just to add that in our experience, Air Canada and BA (KLM, United and others long haul) have always provided unlimited milk - they were happy to fill up bottles and heat them as needed. Might want to keep a fresh/clean empty bottle or two on reserve for later in the flight, though at times they've even offered to rinse a bottle in boiled water. As above, can't hurt to pack a small carton just in case though. As Pickle said, taking bottles of milk through security is fine and you're usually just asked to take a sip. Hope you have a good flight!

I don't think bringing milk will be a problem. I'm doing this myself in 2 weeks (yikes), moving abroad, and have a 7 hour flight to get through with a 14 month old. I'm, however, going to bring his first bottle of milk onboard filled, and any others he has will be formula. DS has been off formula for over a month, but I figure 1 bottle isn't going to make any difference. I've done this before when I've been out all day, instead of looking for milk or worrying about milk that might be starting to go foul that I've brought, I just give him a carton of growing up milk. Seems not to phase him in the slightest. Something to consider if you're worried about milk on a flight. In any case, it will be WAY easier (milkwise) with an older child. I went away long haul when DS was 3 months old and had all kinds of kit with me on the flight. Some of it was unecessary, but you live and learn. I doubt he'll sleep through the flight this time though !!

Just to follow up on awilliams post, you can usually buy cartons of formula from Boots on 'the other side' (therefore no need to carry through security at which they usually ask you to taste one which you then have to throw away). I also saw a Heathrow ad this morning on the tube which indicated that you can actually pre-order the formula from Boots before you fly. Good luck with your flight and move.

thank you so much for all the advice, really appreciated.

we are flying BA and its a 10 hour flight. i am planning to take 2 bottles of cow's milk on with me in an insulated bottle bag plus clean bottles. toddler has refused formula cartons for a long time now (taste quite sickly sweet compared to cow's milk) but i have a few cartons to take with me just in case. however will be much better to buy it on the other side - thanks for that tip.

really reassuring to know that i will probably be able to get milk on the plane! luckily my husband's company has suggested he flies back to the UK to help us with the flight out so at least i will have some help.

many thanks once again xxx

while we are on the subject, can i just ask does anyone know if you can bring your own food for allergic children? my daughter has cows milk allergy and i cannot imagine her accepting airline offerings - would they allow me to bring sandwiches for her with a doctors note? not flown for ages - but thinking about it!

susypx