Mixed feeding and mastitis

Convex

Hello

My baby is 5 months old and we are moving to mixed feeding. Ideally I want to bf twice a day and ff 3 times a day with any overnight feeds to be bf. The first 2 feeds I dropped went fine ie no engorgement etc but after dropping the 3rd feed I have mastitis in both boobs, only mild, but still. I'm assuming it's not a coincidence and am wondering if i should reiinstate the bf and try dropping it when the mastitis is cleared.

If you are mixed feeding, what feeds do you bf vs ff? My baby feeds roughly 8am/11am/230pm/6pm/10pm and ideally I want to bf the 8am and 6pm plus any extra overnight feeds. Wondering if I've picked the wrong ones for my boobs to cope with?

Has anyone encountered the same issue when dropping feeds... Should I persevere with the feeds and hope the antibiotics do their job or do I need to drain the breast more regularly and try again in a few weeks?

I'm planning to visit a bf clinic for advice next week but thought someone might have some helpful anecdotes.

I would keep going with the antibiotics a few more days and see how it goes, provided you're not unwell in yourself, no high fever etc. You could try reinstating the old feeds, or different feeds, or expressing milk, but you might end up with the same problem again. It's incredibly bad luck, but some ladies do seem more prone to mastitis. If you've chosen a feeding plan that works for you, give yourself and Baby some time to adjust. Hope it gets better soon. xx

They sound like sensible feeds to be doing as BF, particularly the first one of the day. I wonder if it's worth a more gradual approach to dropping the third feed? A few days of part bottle, part breast? Or bottle, but express a bit? Hopefully once the mastitis has cleared you'll be fine and your supply will adjust.

YOu have chosen to cut out quite a large gap all in one go. I would have a go at expressing a bit mid-day, for your own comfort, just to even things out, until your boobs get used to needing to produce a little less each day. It might help to clear things up a bit.

When your boobs have got used to the 1st reduction in production, then you could drop the mid-day one. too.

Thanks all. I think I am prone to mastitis and blocked ducts, unlucky I guess!

I was worried to express but actually a midday express would work well as I could do over his nap for a week or so.

Thanks again for the advice.