Do all secondary school children have mobiles?

Our daughter starts secondary in Sept and will be taking public transport. If we don't get her a phone this summer will she be the only one at secondary without one?

Hoping there will be a wide variety of opinions on this one ...

Most schools are understandably strict about not having mobile phones in school. However, in practice, I think most kids do have them. It certainly gives me peace of mind to be able to contact my two if they're late coming home. If you do decide to get one, get a very cheap or second hand one, in case it gets lost/nicked!

Mrs TP, the answer is yes, she probably will be the only child without a mobile. However I can assure you that schools are pretty strict about their usage and they will confiscated promptly with inappropriate use.

My son didn't really bother much until year 10 but I must admit my daughter has done since year 7. Boys are far more likely to be mugged for a phone than girls ( not trying to scare anyone) but I do think it put him off carrying a phone for some time.

Mobiles are in many ways a double-edged sword in terms of communication between parent and child at that age. It's actually quite nice to get a text re e.g A good mock exam result etc. when you are at work. You also panic if you call at four O'clock and there's no answer ; it usually means the phones's switched off but you don't know that!

Personally I see no harm in a cheap pay-as-you-go handset. Inevitably at secondary school age you will need to be able to communicate on occasion as your child will experience quite a sharp level of independence, travel on public transport to name but one.

If you're worried that kids are using their phones at school inappropriately that won't happen.

I have also heard of horror stories of 8 year olds with Blackberries!

year 7's are seen as easy pickings for muggers ( I am sorry to say).

I would suggest a really rubbish one with a very small amount of credit. make sure you have all the details ready to report a loss. I think boys are greater targets than girls. My sons LG ?8.99 phone was turned down by muggers twice in the end. I think its careless public use of phones and not realising that others are observing you that can make you a victim.

Second wod's advice 100%. My son has become quite savvy re above. Never take a (worth having) mobile and use publicly in vulnerable areas, buses being one.

Boys are much, much bigger target than girls.

Mrs TP - please don't worry about your soon to be Year 7 child not taking a mobile to secondary school.

My two girls (in Year 8 and Year 11) have never taken a mobile to school. I have an older son (19) who also never took a mobile to school.

Maybe this was because they are just a 5 minute walk from their secondary school, but also because I will not let them take one anyway (but they don't want to anyway) relying on their ipods when they get home!

I can understand your worries about travelling.

When I look back how did me and my sisters cope in the 70s with getting 2 buses there and back to school?

Times change but only you can decide how dependent mobiles have made us.

Many thanks everybody. Sort of not really wanting to get her one for start of secondary school as yes we have all coped in our teenage years / first leaving home without them. She isn't asking for one so maybe I should be brave and see how long we can go without it.

Daughter, now 16 has had one since yr 7 and is permanently attached - seriously, she sleeps with the thing! Son nearly 15 only started using one in the last few months - doesn't take it to school. Son age 11, yr7 doesn't use one - except for occasional days at the park - & hasn't asked for one.

Both son's phones are ?10 PAYG cheapies. Think you're doing the right thing by waiting to see - she'll no doubt let you know if she feels she'd like one.

Mrs TP, secondary school will be a HUGE change from primary, both for your child and you. The children will become independent and you need to prepare them and yourself to adapt. Dealing with mobile phones will be a part of that. Your daughter will want a phone, no, will demand a phone as soon as she starts.

I am waiting for my Year 9 daughter as I type and I have had no contact from her except a phone call that I missed which may have been from her since she left school. She has gone to her friends birthday thing (defo not a party as in the primary sense). As her school discourages phones, she and her friends generally don't carry one. As summer approaches and it gets lighter, its more and more a problem. I am not worried (yet) but I wish I could ring her.

Edited to add, we are living in the 21st century, dangerous to compare to your childhood. Also my daughter and her friends are not delinquents, all lovely and enjoying their teenage years!

? She eventually came back at 8pm having had a lovely time. If she had the phone with her, I could have had a more relaxing evening!

> I have also heard of horror stories of 8 year olds

> with Blackberries!

I'm a secondary school teacher and there are many blackberries in year 7! Absolutely crazy and unecessary. Drives me mad when kids have a flash phone but then say they can't afford stationery to do their work with.

I think leave off getting one and if she asks for one get her a cheap one and tell her to not get it out on the bus etc.

My son is year 7 at Harris Boys East Dulwich. They are not allowed mobile phones as long as they are in school uniform, ie not just when at the school, but also travelling to and from the school. As a result, apparently, it is "known" that Harris Boys do not carry mobile phones and are subsequently not a target. Although I was a little edgy at first, my son being uncontactable on his school commute hasn't been an issue.

I am afraid I have found the mobile invaluable in tracking down my eldest!! they often do things on the spur of the moment and that call or text to explain where they are is really reassuring. Also try to get a cheap phone, however I have found that that they phone companies are giving away pretty flash phones on minimal tariffs (?10 a month)so that is why there is so many of them around = I couldn't believe it when all these visiting children had blackberries!! We stuck with PAYG for several years, but switched a a contract as it ended up being seriously more economical.

Great policy, well done Harris Boys.

My advice would be not to get one. They are unnecessary and it's only an issue because so many parents do buy their kids mobiles. Don't be part of it.

h1981 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My son is year 7 at Harris Boys East Dulwich. They

> are not allowed mobile phones as long as they are

> in school uniform, ie not just when at the school,

> but also travelling to and from the school. As a

> result, apparently, it is "known" that Harris Boys

> do not carry mobile phones and are subsequently

> not a target. Although I was a little edgy at

> first, my son being uncontactable on his school

> commute hasn't been an issue.

tiddles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am afraid I have found the mobile invaluable in

> tracking down my eldest!! they often do things on

> the spur of the moment and that call or text to

> explain where they are is really reassuring. Also

> try to get a cheap phone, however I have found

> that that they phone companies are giving away

> pretty flash phones on minimal tariffs (?10 a

> month)so that is why there is so many of them

> around = I couldn't believe it when all these

> visiting children had blackberries!! We stuck with

> PAYG for several years, but switched a a contract

> as it ended up being seriously more economical.

Yes, we switched to a tariff from PAYG too. You can get one now where the tariff is fixed per month so that there is no danger of the kids overspending. Cheaper and less hassle than PAYG.