Moving to East Dulwich in June. Advice for mum with 15 month old?

Hi everyone,

My partner, son and I will soon be moving to the area. We chose it because it seems lively and family-friendly, and would could just about afford a 2-bed flat! (on Hindmans Road). I just wanted to hear any recommendations and advice from other parents on playgroups or other good things for me to do with my son as I'm a SAHM at the mo: is there a Sure Start centre anywhere? How about the best playgrounds and parks nearby?

Just anything and everything you think might help me get to grips with finding our feet in a new place really!

Thanks so much in advance.

Take a look at http://www.edtots.co.uk/ the site shows lots of local activities and includes all the key details like location, cost or free etc.

Sorry my little one is only 9 months so not sure about the best playgrounds but there is one near Goose Green and one in Peckham Rye Park. Both seem to be busy when I walk by.

Welcome to ED it is great place to live.

hi Bet01 and welcome to ED!

Just to say Goose green playground is v good - East Dulwich Road, jsut before the stretch with Locale on - and has an area particulary suited to little ones. Peckham Rye Park & Dulwich park are both lovely, with playgrounds but also duckponds and lots of different areas to explore. There is the One O Clock club at Peckham Rye too, this is mentioned on the EdTots website (has been a while since I've been so not sure on the latest with opening times etc).

There is a small playground next to Sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill which isn't amazing but is dead handy for taking toddlers to after stressful shopping trips...slightly further afield there's the Horniman Museum (short bus ride up towards Forest Hill and a do-able walk back downhill) with good aquarium, music room and Busy Bees story time for little ones. In warmer weather the sandpit and playground opposite are also great. Also a short bus ride/do-able walk away are Ruskin Park next to Kings College hospital and Brockwell Park in herne hill, the latter also has a one o clock club and fab water play in warmer weather. Basically it's a fab area for kids! The only think we do lack is a big soft play warehouse or something for those rainy days, but there are good playgroups etc.

ps there is the Albrighton Centre - not sure if this is Sure Start/Children's centre but seems to be similar? That's on Dog Kennel Hill, and I think Ivydale has a children's centre, but perhaps others on here can advise.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2409/lets_go_guide_fun_for_under_fives

On this page you can download the local children's centre timetables. Those in the Camberwell/Dulwich and Peckham/Peckham Rye guides are closest. They are not always 100% accurate but each listing has a phone no so you can check before you go.

http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/Dulwich_Leisure_Centre

Here you can download the East Dulwich pool timetable. It's usually slightly different I'm the holidays, again ring to check.

Peckham is a short his ride, with Peckham Pulse leisure centre, which had a nice soft play with hourly sessions (on the hour for most of the day I think) and Peckham Library which has a nice children's section.

There's Dulwich library too, most of the libraries have baby/toddler sessions, some of which are listed in the Let's go guides above. The dulwich one is Thursday 1.30-3 (possibly a morning session as well I think).