Primary schools? Rye Oak, Bellenden, John Donne, Hollydale?

Hi all! I need a bit of help here. I'm thinking of buying a house (edge of Peckham Rye/Nunhead) and the schools within a 0.5 mile radius are Rye Oak, Bellenden, John Donne and Hollydale. My son is only 2 1/2 at the moment but I reckon we won't move again until after he starts school. I've read the Ofsteds but you can only get so far with those. Personal opinions gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Jade

Hi there - I looked at Rye Oak, Hollydale and Bellenden - but that was about 3 years ago and things change! I really loved Bellenden (small and friendly) and Hollydale (good head and happy children) and it also seemed that Rye Oak was on the 'up' with nice staff (those I saw) and happy kids in the school.

Best advice - go and look around. As you say you can only get so far with Ofsteds (we ended up putting a school with a 'satisfactory' Ofsted before those with 'Good' Ofsteds in our list of preferences as we decided our son would get on better and be happier there). Also - hot tip given to me by a primary teacher friend - go and stand at the school gates at drop-off and pick up time to get a feel for the school, children and parents.

Good luck - I'm sure other people will have more 'up to date' opinions' on these schools. ...

• 7 months later...
Hi im due to remove my child from rye oak primary school we have been given a place at bellenden for after the christmas holidays and i was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the school so far what ive heard is all positive and on going to see the school i quite liked it

Really good advice about visiting etc but although I don't want to be the voice of doom here, you should be careful to keep an open mind even after visiting etc. Hollydale and Bellenden are only 1FE (30 places in each year although Bellenden took a bulge class this September). The demand for primary places keeps rising and you need to be careful that you don't set your heart on a school only to find that you are simply too far away to get in. There have been years at Bellenden where not all siblings got a place for example. Also quite a lot can change in a couple of years at a school and see also all the posts about potential new schools opening.

• 1 month later...
I love Bellenden school.Its small and friendly.Children are well behaved and polite.My small grandaughter started the nursery in September after getting a place here and at Goodrich,I have found the staff totally approachable,even letting nosy nanny do a settling in session.My grandaughter brings home a workbook and a reading book each Friday and the feedback is always positive.She is happy and has friends of all types which suits us fine.We are a Peckham family of several generations.Support your local school,get involved,dont go with the fashion,stay local.