Ergo vs framed carriers?

I'm trying to decide on a new sling/carrier as the little one is getting too big for the baby bjorn. I've read some of the other threads on here/reviews and the Ergo always seems to get a good press. Just wondering about the advantages compared to a more structured back-pack style carrier.

Things to consider:

- We do quite a lot of hiking (or used to!) and we have a trip to California planned for when the baby is 10 months old (yes I'll be back on here for other advice nearer the time!).

- We really want her to be able to nap in it - which carriers are good for napping?!

- We want something that'll last - is the Ergo any good for long walks after 18 months? (are any of them?)

- I'm small and other half is quite big.

Thanks!

We love our ERGO and still carry our heafty 19mo in it for long hikes. She naps in it brillaintly when out walking, certainly better than when we have been out for walks with friends who are using a backpack style carrier (we usually end up swopping when their LO needs a nap!) She wil nap happliy on the front or the back, and I can happliy carry her and an backpack if she is on the front, so I would say ERGO everytime!

You might like to try the south london sling library for advice and maybe to try sth out. Last time I went, Emily demonstrated an Ergo and a framed carrier (little life). This was for someone else, but I seem to remember that she said that men often seem to prefer the framed carriers over ergos or mei tais whilst its the other way round for smaller women. so it may be worth checking sth out to see that you are both happy with the carrier you use? I agree though that ergo is much easier to transport if that is on issue.

I thought the Wilkinet was much, MUCH more comfortable and secure for long walks compared to Ergo which always really hurt my shoulders. The wrap style of the Wilkinet lets you pull your LO closer in to your body, helping to avoid pressure points. That being said, Mr Saff always liked the Ergo b/c the clips are easy. I've recently heard that framed carriers are more difficult to fit, so it might be worth a few test runs. It seems that a frame that sits too high, or not close enough, will be more likely to cause back pain. I think we'll be doing a few test runs of our own this summer, as our little one is now too big for soft carriers! xx

We have an Ergo and framed back pack carrier (a Vaude one). We used the backpack from when my daughter was about a year up until 2.5ish when she preferred daddy's shoulders. She really enjoyed being up high and we used it whenever we went somewhere buggy unfriendly including in town. My other half did all the carrying though, I found it really uncomfortable and heavy (and daughter is small for her age). Also she didn't sleep in it very well, there's nowhere for their head to go which made all day outings a problem. We got an Ergo when she was around 2.5 and she wasn't keen to go in it, it doesn't have the view I suppose. I've been using the Ergo since birth with my son and find it really comfortable and easy to use. He's now 6.months and sleeps really well in it with the little hood up. Not tried him on my back yet but will do when he's older. My other half uses the Ergo too and finds it comfortable. Great that it can be shoved under the buggy or on rucksack too.

We have an Ergo and a Vaude framed carrier too. For me (5'2" and weedy) the Ergo is way more comfortable. Mr BB has always liked the Vaude though. We went to the Lakes last year when baby was about 5 months. I found carrying our 2.5 year old in the Ergo more comfortable than the baby in the Vaude. The advantage of a framed carrier for long walks is that they have a really good rain / wind cover which is almost like a tent. Maybe more of a consideration for the Lake District than California.

We have a manduca (similar to an ergo) and a macpac framed carrier. I use the manduca on a daily basis (currently with a 6 month old but have used it for carrying a 2 year old) and I love that it can be put in the bottom of the buggy or in a day bag and it is really comfortable to wear for me and really easy to get the baby in. However my husband much prefers the macpac and we tend to use this for longer trips. And actually my older boys probably preferred the macpac as well - maybe because they are a bit higher up and can see everything and they have slept better in that than the manduca (though the baby sleeps well in the manduca). The macpac does have the advantage of having storage space that the manduca obviously doesn't and also does have a good sun/ rain cover. Also our macpac carrier can be adjusted depending on the height of the wearer so can cope if wearers are different heights.

Thanks everyone, that's some really good advice. Sounds like a bit of a gender divide going on - which I suspect we'll see between us too! The sun/rain cover does sound useful though. Although we have a trip to California I suspect most of the time we use it will be in the rain if this year's weather is anything to go by!