BBC Lack of contact with nature 'increasing allergies'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17952320

A lack of exposure to a "natural environment" could be resulting in more urban dwellers developing allergies and asthma, research has suggested. Finnish scientists say certain bacteria, shown to be beneficial for human health, are found in greater abundance in non-urban surroundings. The microbiota play an important role in the development and maintenance of the immune system, they add.

PLEASE NOW CAN WE HAVE SOME NICE WEATHER!!! (I'm really struggling to get out with my toddler in the rain & cold.)

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> its quite warm today Saffron!! go find some

> puddles!

Well, thanks for the friendly heckle, but I don't find 16 C warm at all (and I used to live in Switzerland!!!!). :(

Seriously though, the article promts some interesting thoughts about the trade-offs between urban and country living. If our family lived in the countryside, we'd find transport difficult b/c we don't have a car. We rely heavily on public transport. Also living in an urban area, we have easy access to lots of diverse activities that we wouldn't so easily access living in a non-urban area. I guess the trade-off is in how to maximise the benefits of our green spaces in London. And, how much exposure is needed to get any benefit? I lived in Hoxton/Brick Lane many years ago. There were loads and loads of families in the area, and there was very little green space.

I find this v interesting. Being swedish im used to a very outdooor lifestyle and spending time i nature is seen as sooo important to swedes(militantly so in my opinion). I remember us being forced to play outside in poiring rain and freezing cold. Teachers and parents chearfully going '

There is no such thing as bad weather, only poor choice of clothes'...

Today i fondly look back whilst fighting with the damn rain cover for buggy so that 10 week old ds 'can get his fresh air'. ...

Having said that and saffron you would probably know more abouth this scientifically han me but i do think asthma and allergies among children seem more common here. Interesting!

Hmmm I reckon allergies are a complicated issue, but 'over sanitisation' of our environments certainly isn't a good thing.

One of my biggest issues with the UK is how the weather limits our outdoor lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, with a dog and an allotment we have to get out every day no matter what and the girls often have to come along and get muddy, wet, whatever. We are so lucky with all the green space around Nunhead, and ED too. I grew up in the country but don't feel deprived of green spaces here, and love the fact that lots of them are wild & woody not all pruned to perfection. BUT it's hard to spend too long outside when it's relentlessly cold and/or wet. Dreams of emigrating drift into my mind again but it'll never happen (& must admit everywhere looks so green and lush right now, which is the plus side of a fairly miserable spring).

Come on SUNSHINE!!!

Sorry, womanofdulwich, I couldn't disagree more! One person's perception of warm/cool is definitely not the same as another's perception. And, yes, I do "get out there", but I don't enjoy it or find it warm with weather as it has been recently. A friend of mine was raised in Newfoundland, and she said her childhood was "bloody freezing". So, I don't think it's entirely down to how or where you were raised either.

I've heard the ol' "It's not the wrong weather, it's the wrong clothes," but I don't agree with that either. Sounds too much to me like some rubbish my parents would say when they just wanted to get us kids out of their hair for an hour. Sometimes the weather does make it more difficult for some peopel to get out and about.

On the flipside, I bet you tuppence I can sit in the noonday sun in Cairo or Blackrock and not even wilt.

But would we drop everything to emigrate to lower latitudes? Hmmmmmmm. Only time will tell. Forum, you may find me messaging you one day from sunnier climes! :)

As far as correlation/causation in allergies, the research presented does not appear to be suggesting causation in any way, if I've understood correctly. It is however looking at functionality, which is an important part of understanding biological interaction.

I think Prof Thompson's quote at the end of the article is particularly succint:

Prof Ward Thompson said there was probably an underlying reason why researchers were reaching these sorts of conclusions.

"Some of the theories behind the green space and human health suggest that our whole neuroendocrine system has evolved over millennia to respond positively to environments that are seen as providing what we need to live and thrive," she suggested.

"There is something about the natural environment that is biologically part of our system. In a way, we are hard-wired to respond to it.

"Ecosystem services - even at a local, urban level - by giving people the opportunity to mentally, as well as physically, engage with the natural environment may just be tuning our bodies back into something, biologically, we have evolved to respond positively to."

Hey is that a ray of sun I see breaking through? I'm off!!!! :)

I've came back from 4days camping over the weekend,with 2year old and daughter, met up with family and kids, 7months and 4year old. Loads of kids and babies on the field and although I was worried about the weather,public transport and the amount of stuff we had to carry, we had a fantastic time,Yes it was difficult at times, very cold at night,but I think its good to teach young ones (especially central heating generation)that a natural environment offers a chance to appreciate

how much we are a part of nature. I'm bothered with ringing in my ears, but not once did I have this when I was away, I'm convinced its caused by a build up of different energies used at home, wi fi, electricity, etc.