"Extreme breastfeeding"

When I saw "extreme breastfeeding" in the title, I was slightly disappointed to learn that it wasn't b/fing underwater or up a mountainside! Tee Hee. Reality was somewhat less exciting...

BBC article--

Extreme breastfeeding:

Should children be nursed for years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18032390

The latest cover of Time magazine has caused outrage. Under the headline "Are you mom enough?", a young woman is pictured having her left breast suckled by a boy who appears way beyond usual breastfeeding age.

The woman, it turns out, is Jamie Lynne Grumet, a 26-year old mother from Los Angeles, and the boy is her son Aram, aged almost four.

It's easy to squirm at the cover {of Time}, says Sheila Eldred at Discovery News, but says this is more about American "squeamishness" than anything else. And a related article in Time shows that the World Health Organization recommends breast-feeding until at least age two, and the average age of weaning worldwide is around four, she points out.

Hmm, funny but, I think I would have preferred an article on b/fing underwater or up a mountainside.

Given two straws and half a chance, I'm sure Little Saff would snorkle for a b/feed in the bath! I like the funny side of b/fing. We've had so many hilarious moments. When Little Saff bumped her head on the table, she told us it was a beeboo (that's her word for booby or b/fing) emergency. When I picked her up, she started making noises like beeeeebooooo-beeeeeboooo-beeeeeboooo (you have to imagine that sounding like the old-style emergency siren). Needless to say we all fell about laughing. :)

I didn't think it was sexualising, but agree it was intended to shock.

but there was a much nicer photo with a woman bf 2 children which i thought was less in your face.

I dont know why they couldn't use a pic showing the mother bf her child how she would actually feed him, eg lying down or him on her lap or however they do it.

I was quite surprised reading some comments on articles (I read a few sites so not sure which ones) at people being 'shocked' or 'disgusted' at children being bf past 1 or 2. I get why someone might choose not to but I don't get the attitude towards families that keep going.

That picture made me so cross for an entirely different reason. Whatever the arguments for and against breastfeeding in public / private / past a certain age are etc, one very definite fact is that that boy is going to have that article held up against him in school for a very long time and is never going to live it down. He's going to be bullied and laughed at and I can't believe that any sane mother would do that to her child. Why are some mothers so stupid and selfish to want to make a political point at the expense of their child? In fact, how dare Time do that to a child, surely that's exploitation in a way, selling more magazines at the expense of a 4 year old who can't consent to an article that's going t make his life a misery.

Nah, he'll probably go to a school where all the kids were breastfed to 4+ yrs. He'll be the uber-cool kid who got his pic on Time. ;-)

Not saying I think much of the pic obviously, but it's different strokes for different folks.

Now, anyone see a waterfall round South London? No. Hmmm, guess we'll have to settle for b/fing while watching nature documentaries. That's about as extreme as I'm getting... today. xx