Lewisham Birth Centre: any opinions?

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has had their baby at Lewisham Birth centre and would mind sharing their thoughts on the care they got there? Their website talks about a 'home from home' atmosphere, birthing pools, one-to-one midwife care, encouraging active labour which sounds exactly what I'd like if all goes to plan - I'm having a very normal pregnancy, so hoping that will continue to the birth....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I (after my very normal preganancy!) was booked in there to have my baby last September and spent about half of my very long labour there and it is indeed very lovely and all the thibgs it promises to be. You really don't feel like you are in hospital at all and all the midwifes I met were lovely and just an amazing support to me at the time.

Just be aware if things don't go to plan you end up at Lewisham hospital (obviously), so make sure you are happy with that too. I have been assured that great improvements have been happening there.

You can book in for a tour of the birth centre and hospital, well worth doing!

PM me if you have any more questions!

I had my second child at the birth centre in December and it was a really positive experience. The environment is obviously great - very new, smart and comfortable rooms that don't feel like hospital - and after the butt it was wonderful to have my partner able to stay with me overnight. But the best thing is the care; the midwives there were lovely and really committed to making sure you have a good experience. I really recommend it.

They do regular tours so it's worth going to have a look round and talk to them. They have specific criteria for admission, all based around being low risk eg normal bp, normal iron, not v overweight, no growth issues etc. They do the risk assessment at about 35 weeks. You also have to be full term (37 weeks or more) and you can't be induced at the birth centre.

As Jo says if you have complications, or indeed if you decide you want an epidural, you will be transferred upstairs to the normal labour ward at Lewisham. I had my first baby there with an induction; the care and treatment in labour were fine, post natal care was a bit sparse as it often seems to be in busy city hospitals as the midwives are stretched and have to prioritise the women in medical need. That said I hear things have improved since then (2008) and in any case you would be in good hands if you were to suffer complications as the high risk medical care there is v good.

As with anywhere it is luck of the draw as to who is on shift. I actually felt better cared for on the main labour ward in Lewisham hospital when I was induced than in the birth centre where I was left under the charge of an incompetent student :( It had nothing to do with being too busy, I was the only person in the birth centre!

It is a lovely environment and getting discharged from the birth centre and never having to see the post natal ward is a bonus. Overall I would still recommend it even though my experience was not so great. Some of the midwives who attended to me with my first birth on the labour ward (pre birth centre days) were fantastic and now work in the birth centre.

Thank you all for your replies - really appreciate it.

It sounds overall like you've had a pretty positive experiences at the Birth Centre (though I'm sorry to hear that you were abandoned fapl!). I've been looking at the NHS Choices website which is useful, but doesn't seem to split the main hospital maternity ward from the birthing unit, so it's a bit harder to get a sense of each of the services and the care on the main labour ward. That said, I'm reassured by what you said, mouseysarah, about care improving there.

I've asked for a tour of the unit which sounds like a good idea for getting a feel of the place; I was a bit disappointed that King's have stopped their tours and just have a video online.

Jo'sEnglish - thanks very much for the offer to answer more questions - I may well take you up on it once I've had a chance to see the place.

Thanks again all - all the choices are a bit bewildering....!

redmare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I was a bit disappointed that King's have stopped

> their tours and just have a video online.

>

> Ah, but there is a way around this; Kings do a 'waterbirth' tour on the first & third Tuesday of the month, at 6.30pm. You don't need to book - just turn up. It's a great way to get to see the labour ward, and to ask a Kings Midwife any questions you may have.

Hi, I can't advise on the birth centre as I was higher risk and not allowed to use it but I just wanted to add my experience of the maternity unit at Lewisham.

I gave birth there nearly 18 months ago and found the labour ward midwives to be supportive and caring throughout my induction and labour. My baby had to spend 5 days in NICU and the staff there were amazing, the equipment and knowledge they have there is first class.

I was on the postnatal ward for a week which was fine but the staff are definitely busier/not so accessible there. I think that is probably the same in any large hospital though and definitely heard similar from my friends who were at Kings. If you do end up on the postnatal ward at Lewisham you have the option of paying (not that much) for a single room if thee is one available. This was invaluable to me as I was there without my baby while he was in NICU.

Anyway just a few observations there as I know when I was looking at where to go I could not find anything positive written about Lewisham! If you have any specific questions/worries I'm happy to answer via PM. Good luck!

Another thumbs up for the Birth Centre at Lewisham! I had my second daughter in Sept 2010, and I cannot praise the care and professionalism from the staff. The unit is fab, like everyone is saying, it does not feel like a hospital. Little things like how they welcome you to the Birth Centre, the waiting area, the way they talk to you, the facilities, the John Lewis wooden cradles in each room (not the hospital transparent cots!) it all feels like you, your labour and the birth are the most important things. I had a water birth, well I just about made it in, and I felt like I was in the safest of hands; non-invasive, supportive care and I left 6 hours after the birth - I never felt so good.

I had my first baby in the labour ward in 2008 and I think huge improvements have been made since then.

I am so glad feedback is still so positive - well done Lewisham Birth Centre!

Thank you all so much for the replies! It's great to hear such positive stories about the Birth Centre, and also to be reassured about the main labour ward - thanks slh2009.

I'll speak to my midwife (if she ever gets back off sick...) about how to book in there. I'm booked with Kings by default (when I was asked very early on where I wanted to have the baby I had no idea - it's not like 'where do you want to do your weekly shop?'!) and hopefully there won't be a problem switching over. I was going to do the waterbirth tour at Kings anyway - hadn't realised that you'd see the labour ward (thanks for the tip sillywoman!) - so that will be really helpful in coming to a decision.

Thanks a million again for taking the time to give your views.