Goodrich primary school - views / info from parents

Hi there

Our daughter has just been offered a place at Goodrich to start in reception this September. When we went on the tour it seemed like a lovely school and the kids all seemed happy. Our only concern is that our daughter has until very recently, been very shy. She has been at a tiny nursery (20 kids in total) which she absolutely loves and her confidence has come on leaps and bounds. We are worried that Goodrich might be too overwhelming due to its size and just wondered how other parents who might have had similar concerns have found it? Any views generally on the school, good and bad will also be gratefully received. Thanks for your time and help....

It is very big but the reception area is in its own little corner with 1 other year.

They come together with some of the other years at playtime and lunchtime. Assembly is just with reception classes.

Sorry I cannot advise on how your daughter will get on but perhaps speak to the school about it. I am sure they have tried and tested ways of helping children who are shy. My son cried every morning for about 6 weeks when he first started - and he was used to going there to drop his older brother off! So you never know, your daughter may be fine!

If you think it would help if she saw a familiar face when she starts then I'm happy to meet up with you nearer the time with my daughter who is also starting in September (who is very social and loves playing with other girls).

I was impressed with the settling in process at Goodrich last September when my son started. The children who are completely new to the school tend to start first, and those who have been in nursery at Goodrich are later to start, so she won't be in a class of 30 from day 1.

I worried about things like how he would cope at lunchtime etc., but it's been absolutely fine. Despite it being a big school things tend to be done in smaller groups, and it's amazing how well they adapt.

My daughter is also starting in reception there in September. We will find out what class they are in nearer the end of this term (before the open morning), which can help to then start forging little friendships with others who will be in the same class.