Local pre-school options

R11

We are currently looking at options for our son to go to pre-school in September, a month before his 3rd birthday. I have visited and put his name down at a few places but options for what we are looking for seem quite limited so I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing any other obvious choices, especially given we've probably left it a bit late so no guarantees anywhere. Although I realise we may not get exactly what we want, we of course want to get it right for him and having not used any childcare so far, this is our first dip into this world.

Our main practical requirement is for somewhere that will give him the 15 hours free without top-up from the term after his 3rd birthday but will also allow him to do fewer hours than that and only 2 or 3 sessions a week at least for the first couple of terms.

The places I have looked at are: BUDS, Amott Road, which I liked but will only do 5 days; Bessemer Grange, which is lovely but are unlikely to have a place for him before September 2013 (though I've been told there is a possibility) and will of course only do 5 days being attached to a school; East Dulwich Community Nursery and Dulwich Village Pre-school, which is our current preference as it offers the sessional care we'd like and I was generally impressed by them. However, they have a current problem with a backlog of children still awaiting primary school places so have been unable to give any clear indication of their current waiting list and how likely we would be to get a place this September so we don't really want to put all our eggs in that basket.

So what I'm really asking is whether there are any other options locally which would suit our needs and preferences that I have missed. We live opposite Dulwich Hospital / behind Alleyns and walking distance would also be preferable but not essential. I would also welcome relevant and current opinions or experiences regarding any of the places I have mentioned.

Thanks.

We use Amott Rd and just go the days that we choose to. I think other parents do the same, creating their own routine. It is very affordable so doesn't feel like we are waisting money on days we don't use. Later on, when school gets closer and we may want our little one to attend more days, we will be able to regulate that as we choose without having to worry about booking extra days.

My son's at Half Moon Montessori and daughter will be from September. Actually, it was recommendations from here that persuaded me to look round it. I also love it! The family that runs it are lovely. Not sure what nurseries you've looked at but it's not mega-smart - it's in a church hall and they bring packed lunches if they stay all day (well, 8.40 - 3.15). The staff are great and my son has been begging me for ages to send him there "every day".... It's very reasonable though. (Although, to put it in context, we moved from Islington last summer and all the nurseries there were very expensive!)

My son is also at Halfmoon Montessori and loves it. He goes in the morning, 5 days a week and is alway begging to stay all day (or sometimes even forever!).

I really like it too. It is friendly and small, with a family atmosphere and staff that care about the individual needs of every child.