Books for girls

Hello forumites,

I'm looking for recommendations for books to read to my daughter that have girl characters as their leads. Not in a self-conscious "I am a girl - girl power" way, just a great story, well written, with an ace main character that just happens to be a girl. We have lots of books and almost all of the boys are "doers", the girls are either doing "girlie" things or are more passive. And this is not because when I asked my daughter do you want to be a nurse or a doctor, she said "nurse" - honest ;)

Any suggestions gratefully received 7

Sorry I posted a msg twice by mistake - she's 2.5 but we read her stuff like "The Reluctant Dragon" by Kenneth Graham and she enjoys it, ditto Wind in the Willows so almost anything up to ten I would say is fine

Charlie and Lola books, Clarice Bean (all by Lauren Child, though Clarice Bean might be a bit old for her yet), Daisy and the trouble with... series by Kes Gray, Ottoline books by Chris Riddell (again probably better when she's a bit older). In the 4th "How to train your dragon" book and onwards, there is a great girl called Kamikazi who is a master burglar and gets the heroes out of trouble on a few occasions. Will have another think and see what else I can remember (daughter now 7 and loved these when smaller). Also Roald Dahl - no wimpy female characters there...

A couple of great ones by Randy du Burke, The Moon Ring. (fab illustrations) and The Bravest Girls in the World. Julia Donaldson, The Gruffallo's Child is female and Room on the Broom presents a nice non typical version of a witch.

Can anyone remember some books with a girl called daisy - possibly one of Lauren child's series but not sure. There was a great one where she needed to dress up as a bridesmaid and she came up with a combat/khaki version of the dress. One was called something like "Reslly" and was all about her trying to bamboozle a babysitter

• 9 months later...

Hello,

just wanted to give this thread a bump and recommend this excellent book:

"Great Books for Girls" by Kathleen Odean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Books-Girls-Inspire-Tomorrows/dp/0345450213/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363085638&sr=8-1

It lists 600 books with strong female lead characters, organised by reader-age, genre, etc.

Here are the criteria the author used when making her selection:

"I looked for [books about] strong girls and women who faced the world with courage, either from the first or after overcoming their fears. I found female characters who are creative, capable, articulate, and intelligent. They solve problems, face challenges, resolve conflicts, and go on journeys. These girls are not waiting to be rescued; they are doing the rescuing. Nor are they waiting for a male to provide a happy ending they are fashioning their own stories."

I strongly recommend getting hold of a copy.

Claire

Few more books for the list - Green Smoke by Rosemary Manning, Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf and Polly and the Wolf again by Catherine Storr - these are old titles which have been republished, but great female characters. Polly in particular, keeps getting the better of the wolf - daughter loved that!

I like Astrid Lindgren's books. See:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Noisy-Village-Astrid-Lindgren/dp/014032609X#_

I love these books because, as well as being very charming, they have a good mix of male and female characters. Lindgren reflects, realistically, the slightly different emphasis of girl-only versus boys-only play. But the children mix a lot, and overall each child has such a wonderful, rounded character. (A favourite scene of mine is Britta climbing to the very top of the roof of the barn and walking right along it, like an elevated gymnastics beam. Her terrified mother sees and shouts at her to come down.)

Each of my girls particularly identified with the lovable trouble making toddler, Kerstin, at aged 2-3.