Jubilee flotilla - where to watch?

I figure my family in NZ will never forgive me if I don't make an effort to see some of the Jubilee goings on, and I think the kids would enjoy seeing the boats.

However I shy away from the big events due to generally hating battling through crowds.

Any clever suggestions as to where a good place to watch would be? Older kids are old enough to walk a decent distance, but we also have a baby who will be in a buggy or sling.

Thanks

I think you need to check out this website and see what will be best for you:

http://www.thamesdiamondjubileepageant.org/Default.aspx

I sympathise. I can't be doing with the logistics of all of this stuff. Have a friend who is coming to stay in the summer who I know can't believe I have made no effort to get Olympic tickets etc. Hubby will be working and it just won't work with the brood in toe.

Oh that's a good tip nunheadmum, thank you, I'll do some investigating.

Mrs TP - that's exactly how I feel. London is fantastic, but when big events are on it's usually so much of a faff to get there/find a viewing spot/get home that it just doesn't seem worth the effort. But as my older two are now at an age where they remember things I think it will be great for them to see and be able to talk about when they're old and it's King William's jubilee :)

I'll try to push my "I hate people" feelings to one side ;-)

Oh good luck with it. Almost slightly envious as a little part of me is thinking I should be making more of an effort as my older two are old enough to remember such events in the future. However the little one has decided this is the week to ditch nappies (just after last week when I was moaning on here she is too old to be in nappies) and now I am worried about going more than two yards away from a loo as there is no way she will use a potty - travel or otherwise, it has to be the proper loo!

I am sure you don't 'hate individual people' just large crowds.

The flotilla finishes in Greenwich in front of the Old Royal Naval College. It might be a bit less crowded there as the Queen gets off at Tower Bridge and I assume all the music and pageantry happen more downstream. But it would still be a good vantage point for the thusand boats. There is a park at Island Gardens on the other side of the river which might also offer a good vantage point. You could do a train to Lewisham and DLR to Cutty Sark or Island Gardens which have step free access I believe.

I'm terrible - my approach is to watch it on the TV, as you get to see so much more that way. I know it isn't quite the same, but as with the wedding, I wanted to see ALL of it, not just a few minutes of horses and carriages (and mini buses LOL) going past.

Like the idea of going to see the boats the day before though when they are MOORED (LOL Nunheadmum ;-) ) up, or maybe on Sunday if they are still there at the Greenwich event.

Hmmmm.

Im so bad at national events like this, the crowds are just too hectic! i had special seats to go and watch this but i turned them down :S feeling pretty bad about that now! although im sure tv will just be fine...and saf is only 3 months so she wont remember...helps me feel less guilty!

One Sweet World Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's a free, child-friendly event on Sunday 3rd

> at the Old Royal Naval College.

> http://www.ornc.org/events/detail/the-big-jubilee-

> lunch. My plan is to escape into Greenwich park if

> it all gets too much!

This looks like fun, but Husband asks if the Queen's portion of the flotilla is coming past Greenwich, or will her ship go only as far as Tower Bridge? He's quite keen to see her with the flotilla, and I'm not sure if she herself is coming past Greenwich?

we went to the Avenue of Sails this morning, all the tall ships parked up east of London Bridge and Tower Bridge which was pretty impressive, and saw a lot of the boats heading - now, is upstream west? - well, west along the Thames to where they'll kick off tomorrow. Was getting pretty busy by the time we left though (about 12).

We've been up today too, just home having spent nearly 4 hours wandering round looking at the boats and soaking up the atmosphere. Thanks to nunheadmum for the suggestion. Planning to watch the event tomorrow from the comfort of the sofa with a glass of bubbly :)

We went up too. Apparently missed the 41 gun salute and Tower Bridge opening. Kids none the wiser though!! Youngest was a little disappointed that there were pirate ships but no pirates and eldest was hoping to see the queen. But a good scoot around City Hall and they were happy.

I admire anyone with the staying power to head up during the real celebrations. The telly and some bubbly sounds good to me!