constipated 4 month old

hi again everyone

if its not one thing its another issue when it comes to breasfeeding my little one! she is 4 months on tuesday and is breadfed except for her last fed which is formula. she doesnt poo everyday more like every 3-4 days. it has been fine in the past however her poo is turning a horrible dark green colour and is slightly hard. but today which scared me is that she was straining and started crying when trying to pass stools. I know this is not normal and will be going to the gp i was just wondering if this happened to anyone else? im guessing its my fault with mayb having more fore milk then hind milk?

should i stop breastfeeding altogether and put her on formula?

:( i have no idea what to do but it breaks my heart when shes in pain!

nabz

certainly not your fault nabz! so please don't blame yourself. If you are really worried u could try calling the nct breastfeeding helpline or go to the lister walk in clinic just opposite lidl on pekham high street. open 8/8 7 days a week. i personally don't think this should put you off breastfeeding but it's a very personal thing. formula is supposed to constipate more than breastmilk though. my second daughter starting having digestive problems at roughly 4 months: gas, constipation, restless, clingy etc. it was really tough as before that she'd been fine but it didn't last. just this morning I was wondering whether she was simply hungry as she's very big and filling up with air as she was trying to get more milk. but who knows. May also be something to do with teething but again who knows. good luck.

Hi Nabz, Fennel is very good for constipation, its safe eor babies, if using a fennel tea bag, it should be made weaker. I think with the weather heating up, although breast milk should suffice, it would help to give a fennel drink, good luck.

I didn't know that fennel helped constipation but I had heard it was good for wind. If you'd rather not give it to your baby direct you could drink fennel tea yourself and hopefully its properties might pass through your milk. Caveat: I have no idea whether this would actually work but I drank a lot of fennel tea while BFing on a recommendation from a friend.

Yes its also very good for wind, and is safe for babies, it quickens the metabolism, hence not safe if pregnant, (just incase, my 1st was 4month when I was pregnant, so much for breast feeding acting as a contracept)

ah ok im not taking anything extra atm so will deffinitly try and have lots of fennel tea! she did managed to poo but it was mostly green with a tad bit of yellow but now shes all chilled and happy again so maybe it just hurts when shes trying to push? has anyone tryed fenugreek tablets? there sopposed to help with milk production? my aunt gave me a bottle of them but i havnt tested them out perhaps if i increase my milk supply it will help her digestive system?

Yes fenugreek is good for b/fing, and babies can have fenugreek infusion too. Coincidentally fenugreek is also good for digestion because it increases secretions in general (which is why it helps w secretion of breastmilk).

You might also try prune juice diluted with water. This works really well for digestion.

Definitely don't stop b/fing if you and Baby are happy to continue. Breastmilk is v good for digestion, and the formulated milk is much more likely to cause digetive changes. Digestive upsets can also be viral or related to intestinal development. As others said, see the GP/HV to put you mind at ease. xx