Washable nappy liner advice pls

Hey so my 14 m old is in washable nappies & has fairly loose stools (sorry tmi but it is a nappy thread!) and more often than not the liner just isn't sufficient at 'catching' it all, the poo tends to squidge over the sides & onto the nappy itself by the legs so I end up scraping it off which is utterly revolting.

I currently use the ultra liners that the nappy lady sells but does anyone have any reccomendations for liners that are better at dealing with loose poos????

Perhaps something more flexible so they don't scrunch up? He is very active so the liners do scrunch up

Any advice gratefully received

I've got a newborn (well three months) so I am probably not the best to advise, although obviously my little bf one is runny in extreme! I was recommended these by a friend who has used them for two children.

So far I haven't experience any scrunching up - it seems pretty solid and like the ultras, are reusable if only wet.

we use junior joy fleece liners. you can def use a fleece blanket/fabric cut up instead i would have thought. if the poo is runny it washes out in the machine.

we are at a stage where the poo is a bit more solid but not enough to roll into the loo... and i scraped it once before deciding i was never doing that again! so i put a paper liner over the fleece one, sort of wrapped around it if that makes sense. haven't had any scrunching but baby is only just crawling.

a bit more work but not much and better than poo scraping which i don't want to do!!!!

Mrs F, you may need to move up to the larger liners. In the past that would have been Junior Joy or Popli paper liners but not sure what Wendy at The Nappy Lady now stocks. If you contact her she will be happy to advise and may even send you some samples to try.

I always found the Ultra liners great at first, but less so as baby got older and from 6 months always moved to a wider liner that stuck out the legs of the nappy & also front & back - this helps to hold it in place and as long as wrap then contains everything (ie no liner sticking out of the wrap) it will be much better.

Hope this helps.

Molly (who will never be able to completely resist giving nappy advice. ;-). )

Thanks all,

Re the fleece ones what do you do with the poo? Other than scrape it off?? Which I don't really want to do.

Molly, I went against your advice & I actually use all in ones so there is no wrap... But perhaps the bigger size liner is ok anyway as I can then just tuck back in at the legs?

Hi, you could try that - should still help but they may not stay in place quite so well, some pop at the edges is kind of inevitable at times I think.

You can get a sort of mini shower head that can be plumbed into your toilet feed to rinse the nappies off with but it's a bit extreme. Get the worst off by holding in the loo as you flush then put them all on a rinse cycle before washing so they actually wash in clean water.

Xx

I use Bambino Mio or One Life liners (you can get both from Kiddicare online or at Fourways Pharmacy in Herne Hill). The are wider than my BunGenius nappies, so we hardly ever get poo on the nappy. Of course, sometimes I forget the liner...

I like the Bambino Mio liners - they are quite wide so tend to catch most of the yuk. My 21 month thankfully is finally through that "squidy" phase, but I used to have to resort to holding nappy in the loo/bucket and running shower over it to get rid of poo. So grim, you have my sympathies!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this exact problem and the scraping of the elasticated leg area of the nappy is making me lose the will to live. Did you have any luck finding a wide disposable liner? We have major soft poo situations so there is no rolling into the loo happening at all.

I can't remember the brand I am currently using but it was from Wendy at the Nappy Lady. I'll get in touch with her to see what wide options she has if you haven't already.

Hi Alie,

Argh, no, combination of very bad nappy rash so lots of time in disposables and a bit of a confusing message from Wendy ment I hadn't got anywhere....

Wendy said that the ones I'm using, the ultra liners are the best & shouldn't scrunch up but I think Molly's point that they need to be wider is valid...

there is a liner tester kit to try on the nappy lady website or the ones that Molly suggested are on there too. I need to do something though as, yes the elastic bits are the worst hey!

urgh

Ultra liners are the ones I'm using too. I wouldn't say they scrunch up, just aren't quite wide enough. Even if they extended past the nappy legs (we mostly use all-in-one/pocket nappies, at least our nanny does) that would be better as you can easily clean any "spillage" (sorry) from his legs but not from the nappy elastic!

BTW, my experience with nappy rash is that disposables almost make it worse. I have some silk liners (fabric) that use when he has nappy rash which seem to help (these you do have to sluice in the toilet, which is a bit grim but only use them in nappy rash situations...and actually much easier than sluicing nappies as there's no elastic), plus oats in the tub (tied in a muslin), plus metanium cream do much better to fix nappy rash than disposables in my experience. Just in case it helps!

Thanks Alie, I'll try all these things next time, and yes I agree with the Ultra liners that even when they don't scrunch they just aren't wide enough to catch it all.

If I buy a roll of the bigger ones Molly suggested do you want to try some?

Out of interest, have either of you tried poyester fleece liners? They worked really well for my two while I was breast feeding. But, obviously it's another thing to wash :(

The other thing to try is elimination communicaiton if you really can't stand the mess that leaks out past the liners...

I use the Softy liners from the Nappy Lady - I think they are slightly bigger than the ultras, no? They also seem to scrunch up less and are lovely and soft.

I need to order some more anyway so let me know if you want to try some out!

Wendy suggested the Little Lamb viscose liners, so I'll try those and we can compare notes!

Thanks for recommendation re: polyester liners - they don't really work for me in that the poop doesn't come off without dipping and sluicing the liner deep into the 200 ml of water at the bottom of the toilet and then trying to transfer it dripping wet into the nappy bin without getting dirty puddles all over the floor (ick!), which is what I want to avoid if possible.

There were periods in my son's life where his bowel movements were more solid and rolled off the liners, and the fleece ones worked great then. But now we're in a "soft" phase which is more messy!

I've been amazed at the success friends have had with elimination communication but I work full time and think that might be one step too far to ask our nanny to deal with that one!

alieh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I've been amazed at the success friends have had

> with elimination communication but I work full

> time and think that might be one step too far to

> ask our nanny to deal with that one!

It really is a step too far to expect someone to do it when looking after other children as well, because it only takes a few seconds to miss a cue and have an accident to deal with instead!

That said, I do it part time at the weekend, mornings and evenings with my daughter (now 15m), especially if we can be outside in the garden. I rarely change a pooy nappy but my nanny and husband aren't keen on EC as far as I can tell, so they often do.

Ok, I've just ordered a roll of the junior joy, the softy and the little lamb viscose liners and I'll give them all a go and see.

I really don't want to do fleace liners just because, I feel I 'deal' with enough poo as it is and having to sluce out a liner is too much.... I'm ok with paper for now !-)

I also wash my nappies with other things and don't want too much poo on liners etc

Thaks for all the advice though everyone....

and if none of these three work I'll track down the bambino mio ones!

mrs f Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What's elimination communication?

The answer to that is probably worth a whole new thread!

Essentially, you take cues from your baby/child that they need to wee or poo, and put them on the potty. You already take cues from your baby about them being tired, hungry, wanting a cuddle etc. etc., so it's just another set of cues to learn.

It does work better than you'd expect, but it's parent potty training rather than child potty training. I don't think that children can learn to hold it or wee on demand until they are quite a bit older (18m+). Saves on the pooy nappies, though. Any way to decrease that is a bonus IMHO.

Edited because I accidentally posted before I finished typing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

How did you get on with the liner trials?

We are now on poo that is too solid to wash out and too runny to roll off. I ran out of my liners that were too big and I had to fold, so I'm using tots bots liners and they scrunch and they don't catch the yuk. Yuck.

So, recommendations please! Sanity girl I will order some bambino mio ones for now, thanks for the recommendation,

Anyone who gets on with tots bots liners, let me know if you want them.

Hi, So liner trial

The little lamb viscous ones are lovely and very soft but they are very short so i ended up using two which was a waste and then they didn't catch that much anyway.

The Junior Joy were just like that loo roll you got at school, like tracing paper and as such I feel too mean using them so we will use them for something else!

The softy ones are lovely and soft and actually are longer than the viscous ones (although still a little short) and are good at catching, we are having significantly less scraping episodes since using them although i'm not convinced they are the best out there....