Advice needed on asking for pay raise (nanny)

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could get any advice at all on how tO ask my employer for a raise. I currently work as an after school nanny for a family looking after their almost four year old daughter. I have been happy with them and vice versa. My initial job role was to look after only their daughter after school but after about four months, they said I had to Start picking up their son from nursery, also give him dinner and look after both children until they returned home (7pm and no increase in wage).

My contract is now coming to an end after eleven months of being with them and they have now said that they would love me to stay longer, I then told them I had to think about it as it hadn't crossed my mind that they would still want me to work for them. As much as I would love to work for them, I feel I should get an increase in wage but don't know know how to go about asking.

I am on holiday next week so won't be seeing them until the 18th however, I have been asked to let them know what my decision is that means sending an email to let them know. I guess my question is- how do I ask? Is it a good idea or do I just look for something else an move on?

Thanks..

just be open and honest with them but you need to do some research first...

call up tinies nanny agency and explain your work load and ask them what the range of expected pay is. if yours is differnet then are in a good position to negotiate.

then say you'd love to keep working with them but feel that the original job spec has slightly changed and that you've spoken to an agency, and they've given you a guide salaray range of X-Y / hour

also, youre in a different year, so you should expect an in-line with inflation rise anyway -that's what we give our nanny each year.

You need to try to find out what the "going rate" is for this type of role and working hours, for someone with your qualifications / experience, and what job prospects you have if you leave this job.

The additional duties are a red herring really, the key thing is the market.

You might be able to find some info on nannyjobs site, think some companies also do salary surveys that report on average wages in london.

The family seem a bit cheeky, adding an extra child without any extra pay at that point. A nanny share from past experience was ?9 p/h for 1 child, and ?12 p/h for 2. I wouldn't have thought it should be any different just because the children are siblings.

in my experience with 2 small children, post nursery pick-up, and supper time is the most challenging time of the day, when they are all tired, and you are dealing with the different demands of 2, not just one.