Moxibustion and breeched babies

Hello

I am had my 32 week scan yesterday and looks like our baby is breeched. I realise there is still plenty of time for her to turn but I was looking at making an acupunture appointment for a few weeks time to have moxibustion. Has anyone had this done locally please. I know they do it at Dulwich Therapy Rooms.

Any info/ tips welcome

I have been reading about other ways to turn a baby and this looks better than lying on an ironing board!!

Thanks

Catherine x

Giles Davies on Barry road is very good for acupuncture. He had advise on whether moxibustion or other acupuncture treatments would be best.

I also had antenatal acupuncture from Ella Keepax who practices out of Harley Street.

They are both very good practitions.

Hi.

My second baby was breech at all 3 scans (last summer) and I also wanted to avoid a c-section. My midwife advised moxibustion which I was initially sceptical about but it worked! I went to Dulwich Therapy Rooms but the nice lady actually suggested I try it at home myself first which I did. You can buy the little sticks and instructions for ?5 (I think). My husband did it to my feet for 15 minutes twice a day (from memory - whatever the instructions say...) and after about 4-5 days my baby turned. It's really easy if you have a patient and helpful partner and luckily my hubby was! I actually have an unused stick at home still within its date if you'd like it.....?

Either way - definitely try it!

Good luck!

I've had 2 breach babies out of 3 (one set of twins) On both occasions I tried most things. (Including moxibustion and acupuncture)

Anyway first baby even with 2 attempted ECV's (docs trying externally) no change and I had a section. By the time I had my twins I just came to the conclusion my babies like being breach.

Most babies do turn and by trying everything if you do end up having a section as least you know you've tried but some babies do just seem to be determined to do things their way

Also bear in mind that a breech baby does not mean you have to have a C-section. If you are at Kings then there are a few consultants who have experience with breech deliveries, so you can opt for a vaginal delivery if they are around at the right time.

There is literature about the safest way to deliver a breech baby (for mother and child), reviewed at:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000166/pdf/standard

Hi there,

No experience in moxibustion, but wanted to let you know that your baby has plenty of time to get into position. Don't worry.

At our 32 week scan, our baby was breeched as well. And up until 35 weeks, the midwife confirmed that he was still breeched, which almost made my heart sink. But luckily when we went in for our 36 week scan yesterday, baby is now head down. So there's still time for them to do their thing. As long as you're feeling fine and your baby is developing well, try not to worry too much. I did consider seeing a chiropractor and an acupuncturist, but also wanted to give him the opportunity to turn on his own, so I just tried the recommended down-on-all-fours exercises first and spent a lot of time talking to him.

Hope my experience eases some of your worries. Good luck!

At the initial scan, they had detected three fibroids in my uterus. The sonographer that day said the fibroids were nothing to be concerned about, but she went ahead and booked us for additional scans at 28, 32, & 36 weeks. I would like to think that my midwife would've sent me in for a scan had I not already been booked for one at 36 weeks. No idea if you would have to pay for extra scans though. I'm from the US and this is my first time dealing with the NHS.

I think you'll know when the baby has turned, because the movements feel quite different. Next time you see your midwife ask her to help you identify what some of the different lumps and bumps are.

Hope that helps.

Even if your baby does flip on his/her own, antenatal acupuncture is still a good thing to do. It's not currently known exactly how acupuncture works, but it's thought that antenatal acupuncture --even in healthy pregnancies-- helps to reduce stress hormones. This in turn is thought to fascilitate increased blood flow to the uterus, cervix and perineal areas. As the due date draws closer, acupuncture sessions become more frequent and more intense. Acupunturists believe this helps to ripen the cervix in preparation for birth. In truth, no one knows exactly how this effect is produced, but I can personally say that acupuncture does indeed induce relaxation, which is condusive to foetal movement. xx

I tried acupuncture and moxibustion when my baby was breech along with Hypntherapy and all the baby turning tricks in the book. He turned eventually with the help of an ECV. But I'm sure all the alternative stuff I tried helped to make it such a swift procedure- he turned in 30 seconds! So clearly just needed a helping hand.

I saw Tracey Golding www.essentialtherapia.com for the acupuncture and can highly recommend her. I got a definite feeling of movement in my uterus when she was doing the acupuncture. I've also got spare moxibustion sticks left that your welcome to if you want to try that on your own?

• 3 years later...
I just wanted to revist this thread - my baby was breech and I found this thread, contacted Giles and started the Moxibustion. It worked! Baby is turned. I have about 50% left of the sticks if anyone else has a breech baby and wants to give this method a go