Wedding present- stuck for ideas

One of my best friends just eloped and I want to get the couple a wedding gift before they return from Vegas next week.

I am really stuck for ideas and was wondering if anyone had ever received a great gift or given one that went down especially well? If they had had a planned wedding they wouldn't have had a gift list as they are not into that kind of thing, so John Lewis vouchers probably out.

They are both into travelling, doing things at weekend (restaurants, nice bars, daring stuff like hand gliding!). They are also buying their first home in east London at the moment. They don't have kids! Budget around ?100.

Any inspiration much appreciated :-)

'Not on the high street.com' has old maps in the shape of hearts, you decide which location you want. You can buy them framed, or get the large card option for ?12 and then get a frame yourself. You could get a heart for each location which means something to them.

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/bombus/product/custom_made_valentine_card_

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/bombus/product/large-trio-of-hearts

I know it's boring but do you think JL vouchers are out?

If they're buying their first home, they might come in really really useful. I'm not married (so can't advise you as to gifts) but when we discovered we were having a baby we 'let it be known' that JL vouchers would be most welcome for Christmas and bdays etc. Actually, very few people obliged (dammit! but we hadn't announced it by Christmas) but the ones we did manage to amass really helped us get what we wanted and get a few nice things that otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford. They were really really handy.

Art, for me, would be out - I doubt anyone would get me something I actually liked, and I doubt my ability to get something that would sync with my friend's tastes (as you don't know exactly what they're going to be going for in their new home). But, having said that, my friend received some really nice photographs of the area they got married in (abroad) which went down a treat - that might be an idea? A really funky, framed photo of Vegas?

I have bought a couple of friends an engraved wooden chopping board from these folks: http://www.durhamboards.co.uk/CC0370005.php

No doubt you could find loads of people offering a similar service - perhaps some locally - but I can recommend these guys. It doesn't normally take as long as the website suggests, normally a couple of weeks from ordering to delivery though

I think they have gone down well?! Especially for a nice new home.

S

Thanks for all the lovely suggestions. Am so close to buying a vic Lee 'east' print as they are moving to the east end but as per ellie78 comment am a bit nervous about art as it's so subjective so will mull it over another day.

@biddls - we got one of those as a wedding gift at our wedding we love it :-)

Like the picnic rug for me ha thanks fapl!

Hi there,

I don't know if you have bought anything yet but I have been doing these for friends as wedding presents and people love them.

I am a freelance designer living in east dulwich.

I have attached some images for you to look at, more on my website, also some LOVE prints too.

www.littleredtreacle.com

I also put the date of the wedding and other things that represent the couple into the design to make it more personal, I print them on Heavy weight archival paper and Frame them for ?70 altogether.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Thank you