great British holiday destination?

After chasing a toddler through Gatwick while heavily pregnant last year, we've decided on a UK holiday. But I have no idea where to go.

Can anyone recommend somewhere with a beach, crazy golf and suitable for a baby and toddler? And ideally two hours away by train.

I've pondered Pontins at Camber and various park type places, but have no idea if they're nice.

My friend has just returned from the park resort at camber sands and went to pontins camber sands last year. She said the accommodation (caravans) at the park resort are much better than pontins chalets but she preferred the communal areas at pontins - pool and play areas as well as the range of activities (if you want organised activities). Also pontins is located by the sandy beach and the park resort by a pebbly beach.

I agree with that pr?cis of park resorts vs pontins

They are pretty cheap and cheerful, or at least they should be cheap if you get a good deal.

Actually he park resort pool is better than pontins but the Pomona entertainment is much better and they have a little soct play and an adventure playground

They are not very luxurious at all though... Might be a shock to he system.

What about the isle of wight? While you can get here by train easily I am not sure how easy it is to get around as we have used a car and not paid any attention to public transport.

But (we are just here in half term) we have seen lovely beaches, crazy golf and little animal parks etc for younger children.

The only warning....weather....

Just got back from a 4-day break at Holt in Norfolk. So much to do in nearby towns with children (including a steam engine train ride to Sherringham, a seaside town). Had a wonderful time and we will definitely be going back. 3 hours door to door with a stop and we stayed at Byfords of Holt. Amazing food, massive room (with a single toddler bed - rm 16) and very very friendly. Highly recommended.

http://www.byfords.org.uk/

Sheringham, Cromer, Broadstairs, Weymouth, Eastbourne?

Holt very nice, but terrible public transport or a ?15 taxi fare from the nearest train station. And no public transport to the nearest nice beaches or crazy golf (as the OP asked for a train-friendly destination)

New Forest is great for kids of all ages, plenty of places to go nearby, theme parks etc or in my experience the kids have always enjoyed popping on their wellies and going through the forest... and it's free! Beaulieau is great, Peppa Pig world at Paultons is a good day out too. Only a couple of hours drive too. We stayed in self catering accommodation at the Penny Farthing Hotel, pretty basic accomodation but fab location.

Although this is in the short flight category, I'll put in a plug for the Channel Islands, since I think it may well be only about 4 hours door to door. We've been twice, including Jubilee weekend with a 3 year old, and have loved it both times. We stayed at the Waves on Guernsey this last trip -- they're little flats right on the beach (although it's the windier beach on the west side of the island). We were lucky enough to get good weather, so were able to enjoy the beautiful beaches on Guernsey and Herm, a short ferry ride away, booked a sitter so we could have dinner out two nights, and generally had a lovely time. Someday I'd like to go to Jersey to visit the animal park, although think I'll probably always have a special fondness for Guernsey.

We love Swanage! Dorset is beautiful and Swanage is very family friendly, lots of b&bs, caravan parks /campsites. When the weather is good the beach is fab; very calm water, very clean. There is lots to do nearby and it is right by the beautiful Studland Bay.

Just back from hythe (near Folkestone on Kent coast)- really recommend - pretty town with good beach and best of all a mini railway which you can take along the coast - perfect day out for toddler. There is also a safari park just outside and lots of lovely country pubs just inland. Folkestone was a pleasant surprise too we got a babysitter and splashed out on a night at rocksalt - trendy restaurant on seafront. Great atmosphere and amazing views. Great thing is that it is all about 1 hours drive from east dulwich! So easy!! We stayed in a b and b - but think there are lots of options including holiday flats/ self catering - which might work well?