The Secret History of Our Streets

I saw the episode last week about Deptford High Street - it was really interesting, but so sad that all those Victorian houses and the close knit community was bulldozed to make way for the concrete monstrosities.

Looking forward to Camberwell Grove.

Watched it tonight on iplayer and it was so interesting. I'm now raging at the injustice of it all - and it explains why, when I wends tracing my family history and went to see my great grandparents & grandparents (dads side)former house close to Deptford High Street I found a strange empty road with wasteland around it - still, only a few years ago! Dad was born 1908 and they had moved by then so he wouldnt have known, but I bet their old home/street was part of all the general demolishing. So sad, I assumed it had all been bombed out when I visited.

It makes you think again about the clearing of the flats at Elephant & Castle, I remember being surprised that people didn't want to leave, but it must be awful to lose close friends and neighbours that you've lived close to for years and years, let alone family.

Really enjoyed this tonight - congrats! Fascinating mix of social history plus a chance to nosey in people's lovely homes. Great mix of interviewees. I'll be tuning in next week too for the Cally Road episode as I used to live just off there!

Great programme - I remember the houses at the top of camberwell grove were all squats when we first moved into southwark in the mid-90s. Not sure Lettsom Estate is as golden as it was depicted but I realise it was principally an architectural point and undoubtedly nicer than Aylesbury/Heygate

It was absolutely fab, great social history, really enjoyed it and will be watching the rest of the series.

Great that the bloke who bought the cottage at the top got on so well with the guy who ran the 'farm' next door - brilliant stories.

Loved the trailer for Caledonian Road next week - hilarious.

My other half said 'just what the beeb does best'

Glad you enjoyed it - Caledonian Rd next week - then Reverdy Rd , Bermondsey, the Portland Road, Notting Hill and finally Arnold Circus. It's great that people are appreciating the series - everyone worked so hard to cast the streets, contact all the residents and painstakingly undertake all the original research. I watched the film in the grove pub with some of the lovely contributors - great evening!

Loved the Deptford High St programme and like The Nappy Lady, my family lived in that area at one point, although they are from Bermondsey. Makes me think about how and why they got moved to the Pepys Estate, and now I'm wondering why my parents also got a council flat in a New Cross high rise so easily in the early 70's...maybe because the locals just would not take them (and why would they?). Berwick Tower in New Cross is now demolished - it didn't last long. Meanwhile Victorian properties are still around and sell for a song.

Looking forward to watching the recording of Camberwell Grove.

WELL DONE!

• 2 weeks later...