WEDDING...help!

Hi all,

After getting some inspired ideas from a random Mum I bumped into, I thought I'd pick your brains...

So after (finally) getting engaged, I'm in the chicken/egg situation. Set a date/pick a venue! I am hoping that somewhere on the Forum, someone knows about a perfect venue for my wedding.

If you're up for the challenge, here's my brief:

about 70-100 for meal 100+ reception. Obviously I would cull the guest list if I found the perfect venue

Born and bred in SE15 so somewhere local would be ideal but deffo a London Venue.

I'm not religious so happy for a Southwark Registary Ceremony and then that will open up the options for reception venues (i.e. no wedding licence is neceaasry!)

I want something quirky but not crazy!

i.e. I LOVE the Horniman conservatory (visited often as a child so special memories) BUT it's only 100 capicity and finishes at 11pm..... I would like the option to party on into the small hours!

I Love Beauberry (Belair) house (had ballet exams there as a child) but sister in law nabbed that one a few years ago.

I have also started thinking about Trinity Wharf (Last lighthouse in London, Vinopolis (Lovely brick vaults), Kingswood House (for that Ghetto Chic!) and The Garden Museum (Church ambience but 'civil' setting...?)

Obviously these are all licenced venues.. anyone know how to search for just reception venues?

and my DO NOT LIKE list..

Dulwich College (it's beautiful but too formal and just not really me!)

Dulwich Picture Gallery (Between us we will no doubt deface a valuable painting)

Thanks!

Ideas gratefully recieved and the selected venue.... winner may even recieve an invite to the big day!! ;)

St Faith's church hall at bottom of Red Post hill is a nice building (we had our reception there) but you have to bring in caterers, bar and disco. Right sort of size though... Relatively close to Southwark registry office as well.

BeccaL I used to have ballet lessons here oh and many a NCT sale so a thought..

Catgirl, I do LOVE the Horniman but I'm not keen to travelling, always a possibility though. ummm still need a reception venue though!

KittyS.. This is the venue the Mum suggested. I have no memory of visiting there but apparently I did, which makes it meaningful. I LOVE the idea of the money I pay supporting a charity like this and the building is beautiful....Opposite Registry office.. Urban Chic... deffo booking a visit there.

Thanks so far.. keep them coming

We had a ceremony in the vaults of the Royal Society of Arts, just off the Strand, upstairs to one of their beautiful high-ceilinged reception rooms for the posh meal then back down to the vaults for the evening party. I loved it there - just the right mix of formality and funkiness for us. No outside space though.

Wow... Such great venues.

Pump house looks beautiful as does Vaults.. STUNNING. I love the idea of the Bussey building and roof terrace overlooking Peckham. Um maybe I need to decide how much work I want to do myself.

Bussey Building would probably need lots of personal touches and decorations, whereas the

RSA wouldn't require much.

I knew I could rely on forum for ideas!

Thank you so much for ideas so far. Keep them coming. Partner will LOVE you all for adding to the list of potential venues to visit ;)

How about the Queen's House at Greenwich Park? They close the place to the public early when wedding is on so you can have the entire venue. We had a civil ceremony, 120 guests for wedding breakfast (outside catering firm), then has dance and disco in the basement with extra 80 guests.

Had an amazing time and every time we go past it, still brings back memories!!

Congratulations on your engagement! We got married at Dulwich college old library and then had our reception at the Distillers Pub in Farringdon/Smithfield. There was no hire charge, just a minimum spend and you could get a late licence if you wanted. Scott who organised it was brilliant. We looked around lots of different venues and found that this one was exactly what we were looking for. Good luck!

Some more fantastic suggestions.

Molly, That does tempt me but I know an 11pm finish is just tooo early.

Pugwash, Most places state an 11pm end but then have optional extensions, this is something I need. The Horniman are not flexible on this so are pretty much ruled out. Hence why I'm open to suggestions which are not official wedding venues.Bussey Building can stay open until 2am or 4am! This a bit extreme but I'd want the option to go to 12 or 1am at least!

Although Charlton House, Eltham Palace and HAmpton House are beautiful, they have no meaning to me and are a bit 'typical' wedding and could be anywhere if you know what I mean.

Distilers pus, Delfina and Old Billingsgate are FAB. I love the thought of being in Old Billingsgate looking over london/Thames. and I love the free option at the Distilers pub.... I could have a FREE bar all day/night and with MY friends, won't be left bankrupt ;)

Mates rates at The Royal Festival Hall Tomo? ;)

Otta- Great to know you liked Garden's Museum. That, the Pump house and Almshouse are high on the list.

Queen's house is beautiful but ??? and although there is no official budget, I have 2 young children so feel I couldn't justify a hugely expensive wedding.- I would prioritise a FREE bar all day/night over a more expensive venue!

I know this may be a bit contentious but I would much rather the money I pay for a venue to benefit a charity, council or museum rather than a Public school or profit making business. I just like the idea of my money going back into the community- (Getting soft in my old age?) hence The South London Gallery, Garden's museum and park options appealing to me.

It's a shame there isn't a nice building slap bang in the middle of Peckham Rye Park!!

All these ideas have got me so inspired. I've run out of printer ink printing out all the brochures. Partner is rolling his eyes at the thought of visiting anywhere... perhaps I'll take my 'hens' for a test drive in some of the pub/bar options! Oh God, I'm painting a pretty drink motivated picture of myself... well if the cap fits!

There is a poster on here who, if I remember correctly, got married at hornimans, then decamped to the upstairs of the EDT until late. That was a few years ago though, so not sure it would still be an option.

Hi - we had our wedding reception at the Garden Museum - following a service in ed, london bus up to a boat trip on the thames and wander across the bridge. It was lovely, and we had some funky lighting so it looked great and drinks in the garden. I think then (argh 5 yrs ago) you couldn't have it until after museum hrs so 5/6pm maybe - hence all the fun beforehand! I liked it as somewhere not too 'weddingy' but special and lovely, and all our guests loved that they just got cabs home without having to stay anywhere. There is a travel lodge type place across the road too I think though for guests who have to travel.