Spotting

Sorry for the rather TMI question. Lately I have been experiencing spotting between periods usually mid cycle. Ranges from light to almost period like. I am a few months shy of forty. Never had this before, periods very regular.

Am freaking out slightly and going for a smear on Friday. Anyone else had this? Is it likely to be pre-menopause?

Hi, i had similar symptoms beginning in 2010 and was diagnosed with aedenomiyosis (spelling prob completely wrong). It was explained to me by the consultant as endometriosis of the lining of the womb and an enlarged uterus.

Speak to your gp as there ofcourse can be many reasons for this and i am by no means a qualified medic.

Best of luck x

I have had this since my last daughter was born nearly two yrs ago...went to doctor/hospital for tests and scans and smears, as there were many things it could have been- ovulation bleeding, hormonal imbalance, poly cystic ovaries, all pretty 'normal' ...they found my problem was mild pcos and cervical erosion (normal and innocuous during and after pregnancy).

If its always mid-cycle it sounds like nothing to worry about as implies it's just linked to your natural rhythms, but it's so reassuring just to get a smear and talk to your doctor anyway

Take care x

Can I ask what type of tests you have had? Having a (second) smear on friday as first a few months ago was inconclusive. Spotting with menstrual type cramping today. Really getting me down. I have enough health issues as it is don't need more to worry about!

Hey, i had scans, bloods, and smear done. Smear was fine (also had an inconclusive result so understand the worry. I have Pcos and adenomiosis. My bleeding started after a late loss at 18 weeks in 2010. The symptoms where/are mid bleeding with quite severe period cramps. Saying were as things not quite back to normal after having my son in march.

Try not to worry (i know i know) and Please pm if you want more info on tests, consultants etc. i have read your posts about your hard journey with other health issues and sending loads of cyber hugs your way.

Caroline x

I had this for a year or so, pre kids whilst on pill, aged about 32/33. It turned out to be a pollip, a bit of the inside of the cervix sticking out kind of thing as I understand it. I went for an internal scan and the pillip seemed to just be found by chance in the way in/out. They just pulled it off there and then. Strange feeling made me feel a bit shocked and faint, but ok really. The bleeding then gradually subsided over a few months.

I had blood tests,, basic internal examination by gp (where she saw the cervix inflamed) an ultrasound of ovaries/uterus, a colposcopy (camera into vagina to inspect cervix if I remember correctly), and my gp also put me on a set of antibiotics in case of pelvic inflammatory disease or similar infection.

Don't know if you've got a decent gp, but mine at DMC Chadwick was extremely switched on, proactive and sympathetic. Happy to pm her name if you need.