Prolonged latent labour - any encouragng stories please?

Dear All. I am very overdue with my thrid child (currently 41+4). I have been having strong Braxton Hicks for weeks/months. Last Friday I had a "show" but labour did not start over the weekend. On Monday (at 41 weeks) my midwives attempted a sweep, but I was too closed and they couldn't do it. All day Tuesday I had typical latent, mildly painful early contractions, which were just about strong enough during Tuesday night to keep me awake for most of the night. But then they stopped by morning. Yesterday (Wednesday, 41+3) my midwife tried another sweep and found that I was 2 cm dilated, nice and soft. She was able to sweep me very thoroughly, and touch baby's head, without it hurting at all. (I also went to the hospital later for 41+3 scan to check the baby and the planceta: everything looks good and healthy so no worries there.) But since then, not much! Last night, I had a few, weak, latent type contractions, which I hope will have progressed me further. But overall this is taking FOREVER! With my first and second children, I had lovely, "normal" deliveries, at home. And I really do not want to land up in hopsital with any kind of intervention. But time is ticking and I am beginning to think my body is never going to do it!!!! Does anyone have any similar experience/encouragement?

Similar thing happened for me with my first child .. Who eventually pitched up on evening at 41.4 in less than 4 hours!

The contractions you have been having probably lined the baby up in the perfect position, once that happened your cervix has started to change and I get a quick straight forward labour is on the cards for the next day or so

How about going for a walk today, nice afternoon nap.

It might be tonight or tomorrow night (all mine weed born fri night/sat morning !)

I had latent labour for 3 days until my son arrived. I had exactly the same, 3 nights of contractions so painful I couldn't sleep and then every morning the contractions went away.

At 10 days overdue, an aggressive sweep popped my waters and it all went pretty smoothly from there.

But I just wanted to say that I totally feel for you. Those few days were a really difficult time for me. I hope everything gets moving soon. Best of luck :)

I think sweeps take between 24 - 48 hrs to take effect, so perhaps your latest sweep is still working its way through your system (I'm sure there's a better technical expression than that!)?

I had 3rd sweep (1st totally unsuccessful, second partially successful) at 41+1 and it was very thorough - I was 2cm dilated and 75% effaced. 2 days later (41+3) had a 4th sweep, and labour started pretty much immediately after that. The waiting was pretty dire though, and like you I was quite keen to have the baby at home. He popped out quick enough once labour had started! I can only imagine how hard it is with 2 other children to look after on top of everything else! Very best of luckx

Poor you, I can imagine you are both bored and demented waiting for this wee one to pop out. I am guessing probably not helped by wellwishers phoning to see 'if you have had the baby yet'.

I had what I called 'background labour' with my 3 before relatively swift eventual births and I can see now that matches closely with what you are describing.

With my 3rd I was in hosp at around 39wks as I had a yeuchy abcess, which had to be drained under local anesthetic. They were monitoring the baby constantly and we were all shocked as the monitors showed me going into labour as the anesthetic wore off. They kept me in for two days with labour coming and going and then sent me home as no great developments. It was another 5 days before baby arrived.

I would say for you walks if you can manage if not plenty of warm baths and rest to keep you comfortable. You just have to sit it out, browse the forum, watch iPlayer, 'play' with the stuff for the new one.

Will be here soon enough, defo before the Olympics and also before Wimbledon and maybe even before the England match tomorrow eve!

Good luck.

I had four days of latent labour-two contracting every 3-5 minutes. It was fairly hellish, not because of the pain so much as the ticking clock-I was 40+10 when it all started and had agreed to surrender my longed-for home birth to induction at 40+14. I tried walking around, various positions and acupuncture (poor acupuncturist had never been asked to treat a contracting woman before!) and finally tried to sleep. I woke up after 45 minutes and gave birth at home around five hours later. So of everything I did, I think the sleep was key. Adrenaline can stop the body going into labour so try to stay relaxed and sleep if you can.

Good luck!

SOunds similar to what I had with my 3rd. Then one night out he wooshed in about an hour and 20 mins! We had planned a homebirth and all was fine, although I made my husband sort the pool out before calling the midwife so she almost missed it. By far the best of my labours as the active/tiring bit was so short I bounced back much more quickly.

Hopefully all this is just setting you up for a nice straightforward and quick finish. Good luck! (when it starts for real call the midwife early on!!)