Phil and Teds double buggy advice please

Fmm

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, sorry, but go easy on me - it's my first post here!

I have decided to buy a Phil and Teds as I need a buggy that goes easily from single to double buggy. I want to take the oldest child (3yrs) to nursery with both children in the buggy (other child is 4 months), drop older child at nursery and then continue with my day with younger child in the buggy. A buggy board hasn't worked for us for reasons i won't go into!

I am confused about the different Phil and Teds available: Vibe, Explorer, Sport?? Is one much heavier than another? Is one bigger? Better for getting on buses/ bumping down steps to the station? Harder to fold? Do any take a car seat (not really necessary)? And do none of them have a seat that reclines...

Finally I am happy to buy secondhand but if I were to buy new, any recommendations as to where does the best deals?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

FMM

We have a P&T and I have used it exactly as you plan to. Went for the Explorer model which has been fine. I put baby in the top and toddler underneath so she can hop in and out fairly easily, it has never felt unbalanced but have a chunky baby and tiny toddler! The bottom seat doesn't recline and the top only does when bottom isn't in use. Baby has always slept well in the top seat though with the P&T foot muff to make it cosy. I sometimes recline it when toddler gets out though the empty bottom seat is great for shopping! It's a big buggy though, very wide. I take it on buses during the day and it's fine but very heavy to bump down steps, normally take Maclaren (plus sling if necessary) into town etc. It's easy enough to fold but takes up a lot of boot space. I'm not sure about the other models- think the bottom seat reclines on the Verve? Good luck, I've found it invaluable to have a seat for toddler when she's tired/fed up/it's raining etc...

I have been raving on here about the latest p&t (promenade). Still extremely happy and the bottom seat also reclines completely flat. Also, you can convert both seats into bassinets really quickly so toddler to baby is easy to do. Also folds easily (two button job). Been on bus, train and tube, no problem.

Got ours from Peppermint on north cote road who did a price match.

I have a vibe. At 4 months don't waste your money getting a cocoon, they grow out of it at about 4 months. My 5 month old always looks really comfy in the underneath seat, it has a zip in it down the side so it reclines slightly (nowhere near flat though), and he happily sleeps in it. nearly 3 year old happily jumps on and off the front.

The vibe is about 2 inches wider than the more standard Phil and Teds models, I think the extra width is in the wheels. It is pretty annoying, but I have not had another P&T to compare it to. You can fold it with the 2nd seat on (in all positions except 1) which you can't do with some of the other models. It is really bulky folded up, but maybe they all are.

Also, there are some known manufacturers faults with the original Vibe (if you are buying second hand), which I think were rectified with vibe 2. P&T will do some repairs for free on the original vibe because of the known manufacturers faults.

Hi all, thank you very much for your helpful replies. I am going to look out for a second hand sport or explorer - can make do with the maclaren + sling at the mo but not sure how long will manage carrying very chumky younger son!

thanks again,much appreciated

FMM

i have a vibe and don't think i could have got a sport, as when i've pushed them i've found i can't stride naturally, something which i find really annoying. I'm not particularly tall at 5ft 7 but its something to consider if your other half will be taking them out too and is taller etc..

can't comment on the other models, promenade sounds great though, hadn't heard much about them!

My husband is 6ft 4 and I'm 5ft 1. Promenade works for both of us - it has a curved handle which can be extended out very far :))

Helen GV Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i have a vibe and don't think i could have got a

> sport, as when i've pushed them i've found i can't

> stride naturally, something which i find really

> annoying. I'm not particularly tall at 5ft 7 but

> its something to consider if your other half will

> be taking them out too and is taller etc..

> can't comment on the other models, promenade

> sounds great though, hadn't heard much about them!

I have a black Sport with doubles kit & cocoon for sale if you're interested. I just need to double check that the tyres are still okay first.

PM me if you want more details / a photo.

Cocoon doesn't last that long, but it is still one of the best things we owned, as baby slept so well in it, it acted as a Moses basket too.

Have now checked out the P&T website and also decided that reclining seats are important to me... So vibe 2 I think it is. Will go and check some out and then buy second hand - I'll probably be next seen on here on the classifieds page!

FMM

Could I get some advice too, please?

We have passed on the trusty nipper double buggy that did our twins and the early days of our little one (now 2 x 4 yo, 1 x 18m) and have fallen back to the mclaren. However it isnt very nice to push, and we cant fit much luggage in it, along with the baby, let alone a picnic. For our holiday and in fact, this summer, I am wondering if we should look at something like a P&T... babies sleeping in one reclined always look so comfy, there is so much luggage space, and a second child can hop in if tired, cant they... though do they fold and fit easily in a car?

Thoughts, please...

I absolutely love my p&t. Both seats decline fully flat, toddler and baby both sleep well in it, steers beautifully (on par with cameleon), bags of basket space in single mode, decent storage in double mode.

Latest feature I have fallen in love with is the fold. One click to get second seat out, one click to fold it. It's pretty neat when folded and actually takes up about the same space as our cameleon.

We have used it pretty much every day since No 2 arrived 6m ago when No 1 was 2.5. Best bit is that older son can continue to be in the front seat and baby in the back - in older model P&t, when baby is ready to sit up but back seat is too steep, toddler has to go in the back. Difficult to negotiate with toddler!

F - if you're talking about the more basic p&t - they aren't great as singles really - quite heavy and big and quite big folded too. Most models you have to take the second seat off to fold them and again - most models - the weight limit in the second (back) seat is 15kg or they tend to tip if no one in the front. But as an option where older child can hitch a ride they don't really have a competitor. I hear you about the steering on the maclaren - I can't push ours and hold older child's hand.

If you want a good roomy comfy single with storage - a single nipper or mountain buggy (is nappy lady still selling hers?)? The baby jogger mini is great but not fab for storage. A second hand chameleon?

I was going to recommend the mountain buggy Swift (I bought the nappy lady's one and I love it so far) though it doesn't have a very big basket for storage you can hang a fairly large bag off the back, I have a buggy weight on the front to help with balance. My baby looks pretty comfy in there and sleeps well in it.

Otherwise I wondered about the micralite twofold, you can put loads of stuff on the back if you have the bag instead of the second seat I think. unlikely to find one second hand though.

Dont forget the pram shop on rye lane has loads of buggys that you can try in store.

Lol convex, that's true :-)

Though the twins see it as their buggy and keep trying to turf the picnic bag out of the (what I now regard as) the spare seat, or even worse, the baby out of the other

It only works as a luggage carrier if the lazy little oiks are prepared to walk!

Sorry to chip in but does anyone have any experience of a P&T Dash to share? I don't think it's on the market any more but I may have the opportunity to buy a secondhand one from a friend, but I've no idea how it compares to the other models. Any insights welcome!

• 2 months later...
Hi I just wanted to add to this thread as this subject often comes up on the forum. I bought a Phil and Teds Navigator in the end and it really works for what I need. Usual P&T gripes that baby faces away from parent (altho baby can face parent in single mode), cant use with a car seat (can in single mode) and lack of storage when in doubles mode, but on other scores it is great: both seats recline - one totally flat - it's not too heavy, easy to fold, narrow and has been fine on buses/ tubes, easy to convert from double to single, good sunhood, really easy to adjust the straps when toddler jumps out and baby takes her place in the front. Both children are happy in the back (small) seat - apparently it's the 3 year old's den! I am now even considering relegating my maclaren to the loft as I cannot see what use I have for it now.

Thanks Fmm I was wondering if anyone had the navigator or the Dot (they look fairly similar to my non expert eye)

Not a big issue but the p&t website shows the carseat on in the doubles mode but you didn't think you could?

Anyone else got the dot Or navigator & got any comments???

Anyone fancy lining up a customer for feb time !?

The dot and navigator are both brand new models that were released in the last month or 2 - they have the massive benefit of having a much better recline on the doubles seat than most of the previous models. I've seen the dot in mothercare and it looks fab - it's tiny! It has smaller wheels than the regular p&t and is narrower - so if space is at a premium would be good. The navigator is basically a new version of the explorer. Think that you can use the car seat on the front with doubles kit at back with both. The only thing you have to be a bit careful of with both is the weight limit on the doubles kit at the back - is 15kg - so if you intend to use for a while or with an older child might not be great...

Ah Mrs F you are right, you can use the Navigator with the doubles kit and car seat, I just checked. Hmm, that's another accessory I'll 'have' to buy then! I tried the Dot before deciding on the Navigator. The Dot is a couple of cm smaller in length (same width) than the Navigator because the wheels are smaller. This would mainly make a (tiny) difference on buses and when putting it in the car. However I thought the seats on the Dot looked really small, particularly the doubles seat. Not sure if that is the case or if it just looks that way. Like I said my 3 year old is happy in either seat in the Navigator at the moment, which is reassuring for longer term use.

You do not have the option to have the baby face you with the Dot. Also the hood isn't as good as on the Navigator as it doesn't come down as far. However in most other ways it is very comparable to the Navigator, and cheaper!

Snowboarder, you are going to have to have more kids so you can keep your buggy knowledge up for the clueless forum members ;-)

Thanks both, great to hear a direct comparison Fmm... It's so hard to tell from the website but I was swayed by the size & price of the dot, but will give the navigator a good look too now

I'm a while off needing one but thought if I knew what I wanted I could look out for it 2nd hand... Although not sure Many people will be up for selling theirs by feb seeing how new they are

Next step is a John Lewis trip I think to test drive them

Ha! Congrats btw mrs F - you will have a similar gap to my 2 I think?!?

We have the p&t verve atm which I love for 2 toddlers as it is so sturdy and my chuncky 3.5 yr old can still easily hop in the back (which unbelievably he does still do!) and is well within the 20kg weight limit...it is a big buggy though....but there are sooo many options for tandems now - see the oyster max due out next yr :-)

Thanks SB, Yes another spring baby! Just shy of 2 year gap-eek!

Oh god more buggies, I was only just getting my head round the choice between the navigator & the dot!! I like the sound of small! We have a super narrow hall where you can't fit a buggy & already have a chameleon clogging up the sittingroom... So where is the best place to test drive them all John Lewis or somewhere else??

Have you considered opening a buggy shop? Seriously...