Long haul flights

I am sure this topic has been done to death, but we are flying to Australia in 4 weeks and I am starting to panic about the flight. My son will be 21 months and I am looking for some good books, toys etc to take along to keep him amused (if that's possible!). Does anyone have any tips for making the journey a little easier? We are flying Singapore Airlines and having a short stopover on both the way over and back. Also, any tips on helping with his jetlag?

I've done the trip to NZ and back many times since we had kids (and am doing it in 5 weeks time with three kids under 6!).

Sounds like you've got toys sorted, bring them out when needed one at a time. Let him walk around, don't worry about other people. We always find the space by the toilets is good for letting them stretch their legs and play. We always fly with Singapore Airlines, they are great. We just have a 5 hour wait in Singapore before our 2nd flight, so just encourage them to run, and make use of the various play areas in the terminals.

Child meals are served first which is great, and they fill in time! For jet lag we always hit the ground and immediately switch to local time. Lots of fresh air and keep your routine, if you have one, the same as at home.

Do you have a seat booked for him? If so, make a cosy space for bedtime, ask the cabin staff for extra pillows and blankets as we find it's hard to get them comfy with just one pillow.

Try to relax, it's bound to be a lot easier than you're expecting! Feel free to pm me with specific questions.

I know it seems daunting but it's probably going to be a lot of fun. i've done it twice on my own with two little kids, and built it up as a real adventure. just get really really excited by the whole airplane thing. we got a book about My First Journey on a plane or something, plus books of animals in australia etc. just take a few favourite books, and a few little toys. don't take loads because you'll have to carry them around, plus the airline will give you a goody bag for kids. plus there is telly with a kids channel and lots of favourites. plus lots of food and snacks. and at some point he will just conk out from the excitement, i promise you.

the jet lag thing is just a big big load of patience, i'm afraid. just be understanding if he's not in the best mood, and lots of fresh air and running around, as pickle says. and really try and switch to local time immediately, even if it means staying awake for ages. and bear in mind that he might not want to do very much for a few days. i found unpacking my kids toys and having them around in the new place you're staying in was a big help as it was one thing they recognised.

good luck!

We're planning a trip to Aus too, and I was advised to buy lots of little cheap toys from Poundland - things you can chuck away at the end of the flight rather than having to carry. Bring them out one at a time - for novelty value.

I LOVE emza78's cellotape suggestion - brilliant!

If your little un likes watching tv, maybe a portable DVD player? we are going away in a few weeks and I'm getting a small portable dvd player in the hope of keeping 22month old happy on the plane watching fireman sam dvd, before his 2 older brothers get their hands on it and want to watch their fave things which are Spiderman and Top Gear!!