breast feeding times when weaning

Hello there

2nd baby, and I thought I'd know what to do by now, but either I've forgotten, or I have done things differently from the beginning, 2nd time round, but there are still some things which I don't feel so confident that I am getting quite right.

2nd baby is getting along ok with the weaning. i am doing a loose sort of BLW (mainly finger food vegetables and fruit, with spoon fed yoghurts and risotto etc).

She loves the fruit which usually gets gobbled up before I know it. Veggies and fish are usually ok, but can get stuffed behind the ear, under the seat, on the floor etc, as she is getting used to managing bigger chunks. With the purees, which I did with the first baby, although messy, at least I felt I could see what exactly she was eating

My question is really about breastfeeding though. I was doing a lovely 3 hour routine - around 8.00am, 11.00am, 2.00pm 5.00pm and then a few cluster feeds around bed time.

She usually did wake up in the night around midnight, and then maybe once more around 4.00ish.

Some people say when weaning that you don't want to give a milk feed before a regular meal other wise she will fill up on the milk, and not be so interested in the food. However I have found that if I give her a milk feed after her food, she only takes a short little drink, and then leaves the boob (rather uncomfortable).

Her nap times are changing too, and so I am getting all confused as to when to give her milk.

She is still waking up in the night, jsut as much as she always did, so I don't know if I am cutting out a bit too much milk from her diet too soon, in my own confusion.

Thanks, Lucy

Hi Lucy, so hard to remember, but I think I offered milk feeds an hour after food, and in between meals as well. Something like, early morning milk, breakfast at 8, milk at 9 & 11, lunch at 12, milk at 1 & 3, tea at 5, milk in the evening & during the night.

Think I did 7am milk, 8am breakfast, 10.30am milk, 12pm lunch with a small milk feed just before her nap to make sure she was nice and full, 2.30pm milk, 5pm tea, 6.30pm milk. I gradually reduced then stopped the 10.30am and 2.30pm milk feeds as she got more established on solids.

Baby #2 now 7mths, doing similar with BLW/ BF - she has BF at 6.30ish, brekkie 7.45am with older one, small BF around 10.30am, lunch 11.45ish, BF 2.30pm, both have tea around 5pm then a bigger BF around 6.30pm and bed.

I think she'll drop the 10.30am feed soon.

Recently cut out dream feed and massive overnight feeds so now doesn't have anything overnight.

As a lovely friend said to me recently 'food for fun before one' (although my little pudding may disagree!).