travelling with 2 kids, baby and pram on Virgin train...Anyone done it?

Hi - wonder if anyone has any experience/ tips for me? Sorry, it's a long one...

I am planning to go up to Manchester with my kids to spend a week with my parents. It's even rainier there than it is here, so I really would like the pram/ raincover option as well as my sling.

However, coming back we would be on the train. Which I have done many times with 2 kids and a Maclaren...but not with a Bugaboo w/ carrycot. Which is big, hassle to fold up, limited luggage room etc etc. So I thought I'd try and book it into the Guard's van like a bike. 3 phone calls, 1 hour later, the answer is 'no'. I can chance taking it on carriage and putting it in wheelchair space, but - naturally - wheelchair users have priority, and so if a wheelchair user comes on, I would need to move the pram. "To where?" I asked. Virgin trains are really parsimonious with luggage space! The only advice was to try and speak to the station I am travelling from (Manchester Piccadilly) - they might have advice.

I feel unaccountably cross that they make it so difficult to travel with a pushchair, esp as I am not insisting on having it with me, would be happy to have it in the 'hold' so to speak.

So - I guess I'm asking - has anyone else done this with a non-umbrella folding pram and lots of luggage? :o) Any advice/ tips?

Thanks!

We did this at weekend. We parked our pram in the doorway. I reckon we'd have taken up most of the luggage rack if we'd tried to fold it.

Only other "advice" is that the overhead luggage space is really cramped - none of our bags fitted in, so we had to put them in the luggage rack. Not a problem on a relatively sparsely populated train, might be a pain on a busy one.

We travelled up on that line on Saturday (mid-morning). We only had the one toddler and no pushchair, but lots of luggage. The wheelchair spaces are huge, so if there is no disabled passenger using the space you will have no problem with your pram. There is also generally more space around those sections of the train (and large disabled toilets with baby change facilities). As ncj97 says, there is space to park your pram in the doorways too.

Having used that line for many years, I would say that it depends on when you'll be travelling as to how tricky it will be to find space for all of your luggage and pram. Our Saturday morning train was nowhere near full, we hadn't been able to book seats, but got a table together, and there was plenty of room for luggage. It was the same when we travelled down from Manchester on a Monday lunchtime.

Virgin Customer Services aren't always the most helpful bunch, but when you get to the station and onto the train, I have always found them really helpful and some station staff have bent over backwards to help us out in the past. I'm sure you'll be fine!

I travel up to my parents via Manchester on the train regularly. I always book in advance and book first class, then ignore my seat reservation and hope there are no wheelchair users on the train so we can park our buggy in the wheelchair space (space for two big buggies). I have never been on the train when a wheelchair has but if you are unlucky as other people say there is generally more space in first class and you should be able to park up the buggy somewhere. I always book my tickets for around lunchtime mon-thurs or Saturday lunchtime and the trains have been quiet, you can usually get a cheap single first class ticket if flexible.

Hi there I've done this trip lots with different baby/toddler/pram combos! I always get there early and stand to the left of the departures board and get a wiggle on as soon as the platform number goes up. ( usually the platforms to left 13) Then head for coach b or d as they are the ones with wheelchair space. I have only once on all the times I've done it in last 3 years had a wheelchair in the space. I always try and get the two little seats next facing the wheelchair space so I can leave toddler in buggy. I the space is full of luggage I've put the pram behind the seat opposite the wheelchair space as its slightly wider ( next to loo). I went last week with just the baby and was late and missed the disabled carriage so I just popped off the carry cot bit and put it on the table leaving the base collapsed in corridor. I always find people really helpful in terms of moving bags , getting drinks etc. good luck!

The wheelchair spaces are usually in coaches b and d so it is a good idea to book in person at a station and try to get a seat in one of those coaches - any triton not just picadilly. I travel to and from Glasgow with virgin fairly often and generally have been fine. Once when the train was really busy the pram was taken away and put in the guard's van so I don't think you'd have a problem with that. I did the journey on my own with a toddler and 8week old baby and went to euston to book the tickets and was able to book the disabled space although I'm not sure that's strictly allowed...

• 2 months later...

Just resurrecting this thread as I find myself travelling up to Manchester with Virgin this weekend with my toddler. We're leaving tomorrow morning (when it should be quietish) but travelling back from Stockport (first stop out of Manchester) at 2pm on Sunday (usually pretty busy and train already quite full as most people board at Manchester).

I have bought my ticket and they have given seat reservations. I don't have to buy a ticket for my toddler as he is just over 2. I've called to try and reserve 2 seats together as a back up to be sure that we have somewhere to sit together (there is no way he could sit on my knee for the whole 2 hour journey or stay in his buggy). Virgin are refusing to book him a seat as he has no ticket and won't change my seat reservation unless I pay ?10.

Has anyone come across this and/or managed to reserve 2 seats (1 for ticket holder and 1 for child under 5 travelling free)?

Thanks

I have travelled up to Liverpool or Chester on Virgin Trains around once a month for the last few years, until very recently with a bugaboo cameleon and now with a Phil & Teds. I generally travel first class (booking well in advance to get the cheapest tix) and always heading straight for coach J (Liverpool) / e (chester) which has the disabled area. I have always found that people generally will move luggage to accomodate a pram and only once has a disabled person actually been in that space. That time I folded the cameleon frame and put it in the area outside the disabled loo and had the carrycot with me on my table.

Have you called Virgin Train Travel Assistance? Offficially it is for people in wheelchairs to book that space, but I called them recently as I am doing the journey alone with a 9 mth old and 3 year old next month and wanted priority boarding, and I have arranged for us to go on first at both ends (not sure how that will work at euston with the rush to get on there usually is, as they only tell you the platform at the last second) and they also let me book 1 of the 2 seats facing the wheelchair space, actually saying that it was unlikely someone else would book the other one next to it so my toddler could sit there (even though I'm not paying for a ticket for her). Obviuosly I will have to move if there is someone in a wheelchair who needs the space.

Might be worth you trying to do this from Stockport?

Sorry for the long post.

I got a family railcard and booked a child seat for the under 5 year old using that (you get a discount and the child goes for ?1 I think). You cant book a seat for a non paid for ticket (which is impossible if travelling with two or three small ones!). Either that or look pleadingly at the people around you and hope they move?!

Thank you both.

Mellors - I looked into the Family Railcard option before booking but you have to confirm that you have a child over 5 before buying which I can't to because Baby Knomester is only 2.

It seems so ridiculous. Do they actually expect a 2, 3 or even 4 year old to sit on their parent or carer's knee for the whole journey? I'd rather have the option of paying a nominal amount just for a seat reservation!

Fmm - I have found the number for travel Assistance and will try them next. If all else fails I'll speak to them when I arrive at Stockport tomorrow and try to at least reserve for the journey home. If all else fails I guess I'll have to upgrade to 1st class when I board the train on Sunday and pay the ?15 (which is a bit of a kick in the teeth when I've already laid out ?65 for the return journey...no cheap tickets travelling on a Friday / Sunday!).

I'm not quite sure how I am supposed to manage an energetic 2 year old, buggy and all of our bags to wander up and down a train to find unreserved seats!

Its impossible. I just passed off my then 3 year old as 5?! It wasn't questioned. Traumatic though. Now I have three small ones I drive, I just can't face the stress again until they are older and can sit quietly with computers or something.

Its the same on Eurostar btw - I had a nightmare journey back from Paris with three little ones, only two booked seats and a vile man opposite who refused to move to one of the other (single) empty seats in the carriage. I cried!

I normally don't have a problem travelling around with Baby Knomester and people are usually so helpful, but this is 2 hours on an awful pendolino train when I'm recovering from labyrinthitis... I just need to know that we will both have reserved seats in case I feel ill, especially because the boarding time at Stockport won't allow for anyone to help me onto the train with all of our stuff.

I'm not surprised that you drive with 3 little ones Mellors!

Your child does not have to be 5 before you can use a family railcard, so long as you buy a childs ticket. I travel a lot with my daughter and grandchild and have used railcard since she was 10months. Works out cheaper when more than one adult. Sure its on website about age.

I've been travelling to and from Newcastle for the past 7 years with my son on my own (and once all the way back from NZ on my own with him when he was 2 but that's another story...). When he was a baby and toddler I bought him a ticket with a family rail card. Even though he could have travelled for free, I prefered to just cough up and guarentee a seat for us both next to each other.

Thanks Jessie. If I'd know before I booked my ticket that I couldn't reserve a seat for Baby Knomester and that i could buy and use a family railcard for a child under 5 then I'd have done just that! But I've booked a non-refundable / no changes type of ticket and am stuck with that for this journey.

I'm confused (sorry). I looked at the family railcard and I think it says it is for people travelling with at least 1 child aged between 5-15. How are you eligible to use one if you are travelling only with 1 or 2 under 5's?

I have been travelling with a family railcard since my daughter was 3 months old! No-one has ever questioned it and that's 4 years of trips to and from Glasgow now. Probably because they can hardly complain about you buying a ticket when you didn't need to. Incidentally, it works out cheaper usually than just an adult ticket as you get a third of the adult ticket as well as the reduced price child ticket.

OK folks. A lovely woman at Travel Assistance has booked us seats on the train (partly because I am still getting over this labyrinthitis). So we're all set for our trip to visit Nana & 'Pa.

They confirmed on the phone that you can buy a family railcard whatever age your child is and use it so long as you buy a ticket for the child you are travelling with (whatever their age). They just don't advertise it... Wish I'd known!

Good, I have found the Travel Assistance useful too. I had forgotten about it until very recently. I used it just after my first child was born and i was travelling alone (with newborn) after a rather sticky birth/ emergency c section. Just cant believe how much money I would have saved over the years using a railcard!

• 4 years later...