Montessori: MSA or ME(UK)?

Can anyone tell me what the difference for Montessori accreditation is between MSA (Montessori Schools Association) and ME(UK) (Montessori Education UK)?

I love the Montessori philosophy. I went to a Montessori nursery and have fond childhood memories of it. Although, now looking for nurseries for my 2.5 yo, I'm discovering that all Montessori schools are definitely not equal.

Indeed I was surprised to read on the website of one local Montessori that their policy on potty training is rather pushy! That grates on me personally, as I don't believe in rushing toilet training, and it doesn't fit with my previous ideas and experiences of Montessori. I've heard that a lot of nurseries are pushy about potty training (not just Montis). How do parents handle this?

All insights welcome!

I'm sure I've read (on the EDF probably) that the name Montessori is not trademarked so basically any school or nursery can call itself Montessori regardless of whether or not the staff have had specific training, it should be 'Montessori Accredited' (??) I am no expert but a friend of mine is a Montessori teacher and she was quite surprised when I mentioned how a Montessori nursery I'd looked around insisted all children were potty trained before starting. Sorry I've not answered your question really! I'm sure someone who knows more will enlighten us...

Yes, you're right, as far as I understand pretty much any school can call itself a Montessori, which is not the same as having an accreditation. (And it looks like there are different bodies for accreditation???)

But Montessori accreditation does not guarentee a good Ofsted report either, just to add to the confusion (!), which might explain why some Montessori schools don't bother with accreditation. I'm finding it hard to suss what's what among all the different descriptions and accreditations. What does it all mean????????????

Not sure, but if you're looking for a recommendation for a Montessori nursery I can highly recommend Blossoms on Dunstans Grove. They seem very relaxed on the potty training front (and very child-led generally), have a wonderful array of mostly brand-new Montessori learning aids/toys (don't know the lingo but you know what I mean), and strike a great balance between encouraging children's independence and helping out where needed.

Ok, where to start? I am a Montessori teacher, so I write obviously from my own perspective. I work in a school that has an outstanding Ofsted report as well as an outstanding MSA accreditation.

There are ? unfortunately ? two different branches in Montessori. MSA (Montessori Schools Association) is associated with Montessori Centre International http://www.montessori.org.uk and ME(UK) (Montessori Education UK) is associated AMI http://www.mariamontessori.org Both are valuable approaches to Montessori and there are lots of members of each branch who are working hard on uniting the movement. The differences are subtle and only interesting to discuss for Montessori teachers. I think it?s safe to say that any Montessori school accredited by either scheme should provide good Montessori education.

Montessori accreditation is indeed different from Ofsted reports. Any early years setting has to adhere to Ofsted standards and deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage. The Ofsted report is important to any setting including Montessori nurseries: it tells you as parents whether your children are safe and how well the team and the school are managed.

What the accreditation tells parents beyond that is that the school has qualified Montessori staff and follows the Montessori philosophy. If you really would like Montessori education for your child, you should ask the school whether they are accredited or whether they are working towards accreditation. If they say they are not bothered, they know why and I would not send my child to one of those schools. Following Montessori philosophy means for example:

? Teachers follow the individual child (to take your example: potty training is done when the individual child is ready for it ? children being pushed towards being potty trained shows that the school does not follow Montessori principles)

? Three hours uninterrupted play time for all children, free flow between inside and outside at all times ? that means no time table of circle time, then French lessons, then snack etc. for all children. Snack has to be available at all times and children should prepare it themselves.

? Schools that divide between ?Montessori work? and play time don?t understand Montessori ? children should be playing with Montessori materials and all additional materials all day long.

? Children are always talked to with kindness and all teachers are role models.

? There is a busy, yet remarkably calm atmosphere because the children follow their interest: that keeps them busy and keeps the noise level down.

? The room is very tidy, not over-decorated and all activities are individual on low level shelves which the children can reach at all times.

? There are no big boxes with materials and no worksheets on the shelves.

? No one will tell you that your child will learn to write and read earlier than other children. Good Montessori schools do not push their children to academic activities: because Montessori activities are so beautiful, children are naturally attracted to them and so, in a playful way, may show interest in activities which may lead to earlier writing and reading, but this totally depends on the individual child.

? And most of all: The children look happy and are welcoming.

All this requires well trained staff and lots of training and reflection. Many nurseries find this too challenging and either fail their accreditation or don?t apply for it. I feel sad when parents ask us ?when we do Montessori?, as they went to view a school where a Montessori teacher comes two hours a week "to do Montessori". This is so NOT a Montessori school ? Montessori is a whole approach to education based on respect for the individual child and helping the child to become independent. It is possible to have a very good Montessori school without any of the expensive Montessori materials - what is important is the way adults support the children and look after the enviornment, keeping it beautiful and tidy out of respect for the children.

This is a great source of any information:

http://www.montessori.org.uk/what_is_montessori

This site also has a search engine to find accredited schools:

http://www.montessori.org.uk/msa/find_a_school?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhZG1pbi5tb250ZXNzb3JpLm9yZy51ayUyRnNjaG9vbHMlMkZzZWFyY2glMkZpbmRleC5waHAlM0ZyZXN1bHRzJTNEMSUyNnZpZXdfYWxsJTNEMSZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

Hope this helps when making decisions.

Wow, brilliant post, Ju*Ni! I lurveee the EDF!!

Your post is so supportive, and what you say makes good practical sense too. I'm really hoping I can find a Montessori nursery within good distance that offers the days and times I need for my daughter. Thanks for the advice and links.

Very interesting Ju*Ni thanks. Lots of the characteristics of Montessori education are also present in the EYFS. I have looked around 2 Montessori nurseries in the area and neither adhered to all of those principals stated above. Worth thinking about.

I too am a Montessori teacher. To add to Ju*Ni's post, ME(UK) http://www.montessorieducationuk.org was set up in 1993 as an umbrella association to support Montessorians from different training colleges. I do not know much about MSA, as my school is accredited by ME(UK), but I agree with Ju*Ni's points above, and although I trained with the AMI (Association Montessori Internationale, www.montessori-ami.org/ but have worked with colleagues from different training colleges. As Ju*Ni says, many 'Montessorians' are working to unite the movement. From a parent's perspective, I would encourage you to read up on the main points of the Montessori principles so that you can make an informed decision when visiting a Montessori school. The Montessori Society has a useful website with interesting articles for parents. http://www.montessorisociety.org.uk/ Good luck with your search!

Ju*Ni , that sounds fantastic. However, how does the Montessori philosophy approach developing other positive characteristics like team work and compromise within the framework of letting things be led by the individual child? My cousin's children go to a Montessori school and are very happy but i would like to learn more about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ju*Ni, child-led approaches like Montessori generally hold that the individual must be allowed to developfully before advanced interpersonal development proceeds. (I'm not a Montessori teacher obviously, so please pardon me if that's been stated rather crudely.) When the individual is allowed to develop naturally and fully, interpersonal skills for activities like team work, sharing, and compromise grow naturally from this platform.

• 3 years later...

I just can advice to look through the curriculum of every preschool and ask detailed questions. Nowadays there are lots of preschools that combine several education approaches and mix philosophies.

I know one Culver City preschool that combines Reggio Emilia and Montessori approaches. It's difficult to find a preschool with a pure approach. Personally I like combined preschools more.