Best soft structered carrier for a big ol' baby?

Realistically 34lbs is going to feel heavy in most carriers. I would have recommended the ergo but I see thats what you already have.

Maybe once shes running around she'll change shape a bit and you might find it more confortable again.

My eldest was a complete bruiser, then he got moving and slimmed down. He never actually lost weight but he kept growing upwards and just never seemed to put on weight. As he got longer the ergo became more comfortable again

Isn't there a patapum toddler carrier for bigger babies? but might also mean older/longer as much as heavier suppose. Wow! Are the rucksac carriers better for heavy ones?

Dunno how you are managing...C is 25lb and it's killing me carrying him about. Am hopefully getting a hip seat to spread the load tmrw.

Edit to add - I had a mai tai and found it harder to fasten well enough and keep comfy once baby got bigger. Am not great at knots though...

Hi Ruth - 2 and a half stone is a lot of weight to carry on your back plus the carrier. Do the carriers have a recommended weight limit as you could be storing up problems for yourself in the future with your back and stomach muscles and knees?

Hi Minder,

I thinm the upper weight limit is usually around 40lb? To be honest, it's easier and more comfortable than lugging her around on my hip the whole time, and I tend to only wear her for short amounts of time (although could carry her on my back for longer if I needed to, no way could I handle front carry anymore though).

Ruth, we have a Beco Gemini for Baby Knomester. I've no idea how much he weighs now but I would guess at around the same as Lex or a few pounds more. At 23 months, I still carry him on my front in the Beco, but I find it hard work (party because I don't do it very often now, so out of practice, but also because of my by rubbish back). It's fine for up to an hour or so, but after that it gets too much. You can back carry with the Beco too, but I'm not coordinated enought to get him in it on my own! I like the look of bluesuperted's Manduka which E always looks very comfortable in.

They're all pretty pricey though and probably not THAT different to your Ergo?

Have you thought about getting a hip seat as well? It's brilliant for around the house or at play grounds, etc. You will need to hold the baby with one arm so only one hand free but so easy to wear the belt around the house all the time to pick them up when they want to be picked up. I use it with my nearly 3 year old as well as 6.5m old.