Parks worth visiting...

echo

Oh dear, as a SAHM I feel if I visit the local ones again (se5, se15, se24) I will scream!....

So we went Hyde Park last week and to Wandsworth Common over the weekend.. lovely.. it felt good to explore

Which other ones can anyone recommend? Especially at the end of bus routes up north, west or east...

North-ish Ruskin Park, Myatts Fields, Kennington Park. (185 bus)

Also Telegraph hill Park, Hilly Fields (Brockley), think there is a bus, but can't remember which one.

or 12 all the way to St James Park and watch the changing of the guard too!

Or head to Sydenham woods/park opposite the horniman.

24 bus - Hampstead Heath, Parliament Hill NW3 side, nr. Royal Free Hospital, can pick up 24 nr. Westminster after changing from no. 12.

Dulwich Park - you didn't mention that. Any bus up Lordhsip Lane will drop you off at the Libray, walk down Eynella Road.

Hilly Fields is a good one on a hot day as it's very breezy up there (Chilly Fields!). Our faves are Ruskin (paddling pool, playground - new cafe between the two, duck pond, bandstand with actual bands playing throughout the summer, lovely park in general - and you can watch the trains whilst swinging) and Brockwell (paddling pond and sandpit, massive new playground for all ages, little train, again a lovely park in itself). Crystal Palace is good too - sandpit and dinosaurs, what's not to like! And the one by the Horniman is good, sandpit and playground. I think we live in a brilliant place for good parks, miles better than Clapham Common which so many people seem to cite as a reason not to move south-east. Mad, they are, mad.

As crystal7 mentioned, Battersea park is amazing - 15 mins drive or you can get a train from Denmark Hill. They also have a zoo which is amazing for a little one.

And they have a little train going around the park but not sure at what time though....

EmilyE Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> North-ish Ruskin Park, Myatts Fields, Kennington

> Park. (185 bus)

> Also Telegraph hill Park, Hilly Fields (Brockley),

> think there is a bus, but can't remember which

> one.

484 bus from the Goose Green end of ED goes past Telegraph Hill and Hilly Fields (and there's now a cafe in Hilly Fields!!). The bus journey is about 15 min.

The P4 bus from Horniman end of Lordship Lane takes you within walking distance to Hilly Fields, and also to Ladywell Fields. Ladywell Fields has a cafe and 2 playgrounds. There is a playground by the cafe with a shallow entrance to a small stream (dogleg of the Ravensbourne, I think), which is clean for wading but with a rocky bottom (wear aqua socks or crocs to avoid sore feet). At the opposite end of Ladywell Fields, there is a playground with swings, slides, zip line, spring-style rocking horses for babies/toddlers, etc... and it's fenced.

We live off Hilly Fields, also near Ladywell. So if anyone is coming our way and would like to meet up, give me a PM. My little girl is 2.5 yrs, but she plays well with all ages. xx

I second Ruskin park - the large, shallow paddling pool is great in this weather.

Also, at the Southern field of Ladywell Fields (near Prendergast Ladywell Fields school/Catford bridge station) there is a natural children's playground, tennis courts and you can go paddle in the river. The meadow field is also worth a look. There is also a low level wooden adventure playground and hand water-pumps in the middle field. (These are all in addition to what Saffron has mentioned which is in the northern field)

Sydenham Wells Park has a children's waterplay area with interactive water fountains - so take a towel and a costume.

in addition to those mentioned, King George's Park in WW has a fabulous playground. It's next to the Southside centre so if I go, I park in Waitrose (2 hours if you spend 15 pounds), grab the food and go to the park for the rest of the time. Tennis courts and nice gardens too.

My children would be happy with just the same old park time and time again, but I need a bit of variety too. In my recent study, the one opposite the hirniman is our favourite for convenience, and atmosphere. On a sunny day, the huge sand pit can feel like being at the beach.

The hirniman has also done up it's gardens extensively, and has got a new "sound garden", which is lovely, and if the heat is getting too much, or you need a change of scene, you can pop across the road and visit that.

However, the playground in Greenwich park has to be the best which I have visited so far. For us the 202 bus stops at the top of Greenwich park - there might be other buses, which are good from E. Dulwich, and then we walk through the park - you can see deer on the way, and the Greenwich meridian. The playground is at the lower end of the park, but it is fantastic. Take a picnic, and make a day out.

We like Norwood Park (not too far from Gypsy Hill train station, near Paxton Green roundabout - never had any difficulties in parking on the street by the playground entrance). It has got a relatively new water play and sand feature, and there is a small One O'Clock Club (not sure of its opening hours) and (basic) cafe (outdoor eating space only). Great views out over London also!

We used to live behind Lucas Gardens (in Camberwell near Southwark Town Hall, junction Vestry Road/Peckham Road) and although it is small, there is good play equipment and grass. Also shade which is welcome with kids on a sunny day. Even though we now live very close to Dulwich Park the kids still often ask to go to "Lucas's." It's not really a full day type of thing and no cafe but lovely for an hour or two with a picnic

• 4 weeks later...

Lacey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We like Norwood Park (not too far from Gypsy Hill

> train station, near Paxton Green roundabout -

> never had any difficulties in parking on the

> street by the playground entrance). It has got a

> relatively new water play and sand feature, andY

> there is a small One O'Clock Club (not sure of its

> opening hours) and (basic) cafe (outdoor eating

> space only). Great views out over London also!

Tried this today - the water play looks amazing with buckets to wnch and dams and bridges - sadly the water was off

There is a paddling Pool there too (empty)

Ended up at streatham common paddling pool - easy access as right by. At park

Shady, grassed surround and virtually empty of children!