How do you get a contrary toddler to brush his teeth?

Hi all, just looking for new ideas really before he's at the dentist getting them all filled!

We tend to do it when he's in the bath, I do it too so he will copy, which sometimes works, but most of the time we're lucky if the brush makes contact with the teeth at all and he isn't just sucking the toothpaste off the brush. Any suggestions??

You really need to do it for him, then let him have a play with it afterwards. Our dentist recommends continuing to brush for them until around the age of 6 when they are more capable of being thorough.

I let my older kids brush themselves in the morning before school (they are 4 and 5), but do it for them at bedtime.

I seem to remember the Tombliboos (?) from In The Night Garden do a tooth brushing segment which is good to get toddlers copying.

Hi,

I have found using a silcon chewable toothbrush helps. The brand I have found is called BrushBaby. Got my first one from the Kristal pharmacy on Evelina Road. http://www.brushbaby.co.uk/pages/Our-products.html

LO didn't open her mouth with a conventional toothbrush. But she really likes this one. Actually asks to clean her teeth now! Plus as it is soft, she can walk around safely with it!

B x

We found 2 tips helpful. Firstly, when you are brushing for them approach from behind (maybe them sitting on your lap) rather than poking toothbrush into mouth from the front. Secondly, we said 'can you give daddy/mummy a toothbrush lesson? Help me hold the toothbrush'. That appealed to our daughter for a good while. She felt she was in charge, whilst we were actually guiding the brush throughout.

I give Miss Oi her toothbrush to suck/chew for a few minutes before sitting her on my lap and brushing from behind. In the morning it's often whilst she's watching a bit of television, which does help. At night it's on the sofa in her room and she can be difficult, but usually the threat of 'no stories, straight to bed' does the trick. I have the pressure of 2 grandparents who are dentists hovering over me . . .

I am having this same problem. My 23 month old knows what he wants, and he definitely just wants to suck the toothpaste off. The only way I have EVER been able to brush his teeth is by literally holding him down (head and arms) and forcing my way in while he's screaming. None of the lovely ideas I've heard have worked. I just don't know what to do. I don't want him to associate brushing his teeth with having a fit.. I want him to learn how to cooperate. But this kid will not do it. He squeezes his mouth shut, and thrashes away. Any tips?

Just remembered another tip. Reminders/association about treats to eat. Eg when the treat is offered 'remember you can only have yummy cake/ice cream/etc like this because you/if you brush your teeth' then at toothbrush time 'remember you can only have/there will not be any treats if you do/dont'. Carry it through consistently, maybe the message will get through. It could be general or you could link it with something specific. It can be nice and positive too, eg when they let you brush a teensy bit for a change 'i am so glad you brushed your teeth, now we will be able have your fav pud after lunch tomorrow'. Probably a long term strategy, but if you are absolutely consistent and link to every nice treat they have it might help.

I too was the same with my toddler and recommended recently on another thread a flashing toothbrush. Available in Tesco and the pharmacy at Goose Green that I know of. Probably other places too. They flash for 60 seconds and then you stop brushing. Only ?2 no more expensive than a regular brush. Worked brilliant for us, would recommend anyone having difficult to try it if they havent before. You can also by singing toothbrushes online, although a bit more pricey.

I use kids toothpaste - orange or strawberry - which makes it more bearable - and generally try and make it fun, as with most things that tends to work. I encourage him to do it himself but he sucks it like you said so not ideal and I often end up brushing. I also sing made up song and that makes it fun too. If he isn't in the mood I tend to gently hold both his arms down by his sides and brush them for him quickly as I can. Wdnt worry too much, as long as you manage it once a day and build up to twice, encouraging him to be a big boy and do it himself, soon I doubt it will be an issue :)

I had the same problem but persuaded my daughter to open wide by making different "ahhhhh" sounds and allowing her to be really loud if she wanted. Wide open mouth AHHHHHH, then an OOOO face and sound, an EEEE face, etc. etc. all the while and then I make up songs while cleaning her teeth. She loves it now. (I've also told her she will never be a princess or a ballet dancer unless she has clean sparkly teeth).

Thanks for all these replies - great. Will probably try all of them at some point! In the meantime, I've just started brushing them in front of the mirror and making the eeeee ahhhhh faces myself so he can copy. Seems to be working a bit, for now, in case that's any use to anyone...