Morning & Afternoon School Runs.......How do we crack this

tyor

Hi All,

Our 4 1/2 yr old son will be starting school at Oakfield Prep in West Dulwich next month. However, as working parents/professionals, picking him up @ the 3:30 (4:30 during days of extra-curricular activities) is something we are yet to crack. The last resort would be for either of us to alternate working from home(Something we'd both like to avoid for now).

Are there any options out there? For example, paid services for picking up school children in the morning/afternoon and dropping them off at school/home?

Would appreciate if you could share your experiences since we are newbies at this.

Many thanks

Parent in distress..

There are childminders that do this type of childcare (you drop your child at their house before school, and they will do the school drop off/pick up). Might be worth popping an ad on here asking for one who covers Oakfield.

We have a childminder picking up our daughter from DUCKS. I thought we'd have a nightmare finding someone but it's been relatively easy. You could advertise on the East Dulwich and West Dulwich Forum as well as on your shool notice board. It could be that some of the teachers/assistants would be happy to do after school childcare. Good luck.

Southwark keep a list of registered childminders, many will offer after school care. Or advertise on Gumtree, or if you prefer try SimplyChildcare http://www.simplychildcare.com/about_us.asp : you place your ad for 3 months, and can see all the childcarers advertising. It is very good. If it is your first time using this kind of childcare you might prefer SimplyChildcae to Gumtree as they will advise on contracts, checklists etc.

Have you asked the school whether they have any local networks? Many parents from the same school will be in the same boat. Some schools have after-school clubs until 6pm.

Oakfield Prep have an after school club until 6pm and a breakfast club that starts at 7:45. My son is starting there in September, I am opting for the breakfast club and that childminder to pick him up at the end of the school day so no after school club. I found my childminder advertising on the EDF.

@Fufton,

Spot on. That's exactly what we want as well. Breakfast club and someone to pick him up when school closes. We decided not to go for the after school club cos it'll just be too tiring for him.

Thanks for this.

Hi,

Our son goes to Oakfield too. Last year I was on maternity leave so it was easier. This coming year he will do Breakfast club (?4 drop in) and we have a childminder who will look after our daughter doing pick up. After school club till 6pm is about ?14-17 I think and needs pre booking.

Good luck - what class is he starting?