Help! No school places for children yr 1, yr 4

We've moved from India in april due to a work transfer and Lambeth and southwark are saying there are no places and we have had no offers in any schools. We live on rosendale road. What do we do? September is fast approaching and I am not up to homeschooling. Does anyone have any advice?

I assume you have specifically put your name on the waiting lists for the schools closest to you? In fact every school within a 3 or 4 mile radius? If you live close to Rosendale school it may be that places come up quite quickly at the start of term. Have you contacted your local councillor?

Don't panic - what is it about homeschooling that worries you (if you are even at home in the day?). You don't have to follow a formal teaching curriculum like a teacher. Could you afford a tutor a couple of times a week? there are some excellent ones in E Dulwich, who do small group study.

When I moved into Southwark the council told me to put down 17 schools on the list and "we'll see if we need some more later". I put 3 and got the 2nd choice. I'm not sure they have up-to-date info always.

Make sure you keep insisting, especially once term starts. We moved mid-term which seems to be easier as there are always some people who leave during term-time due to parents getting job transfers etc.

I would make an appeal for y4 for rosendale and your next closest schools

If no school has been offered, your appeal will have to succeed

Y1 is subject to a limit on class sizes but if y4 gets a place, your other child moves to top of the waiting list