Tongue tie petition

Signed it! Thanks very much for posting the link. And thanks to other mums for posting on here about tongue tie issues. If I hadn't read your posts I would never known to raise the issue when I knew something wasn't right in my son's first days. I just wish we and others hadn't had to go through that all too common and traumatic loop before we got it sorted. If I'm lucky enough to have another baby I will not be budging until someone who knows what they're doing has checked the baby's mouth!

Signed by me too. I struggled to get this diagnosed too. I knew something wasn't right with the way he was feeding despite an apparent good latch to the midwives eye. Took me going to a breastfeeding cafe at 4 weeks and saying I think my baby has a tongue tie before getting a referral. I do think it's crazy that it something that isn't automatically checked at birth.

Signed! I was lucky enough to escape any TT issues but I saw the agony some friends went through (including Knomester-the-brave!) and it was awful, makes me cross that such a simple check is not routine when it could save so many BFing relationships and help new mums no end in an already difficult period.

Signed. Went through all the usual delays in diagnosis with my first. Insisted things weren't right again with my second (actually assured by midwives things were fine this time) but had posterior tongue tie diagnosed privately by Katie Fisher at 5 days old and it was cut the same day. The difference has been amazing this time. First time it was all too late in retrospect, too much weight lost and took another 4 months before he was back on track weightwise. This time it's like there was never a problem and 7 months on we're still doing great. Fingers crossed the petition works!

Signed. It should be part of the newborn check, and also easier to get help. I knew straight away when my 2nd baby failed to latch on properly that something wasn't right and a quick google search confirmed my suspicions. MW gave me a list of numbers to try for a referral - every single one away on holiday for a month. We ended up getting it done privately by Katherine Fisher (thank you, EDF!) didn't seem worth going through the long-winded referral route at Kings. Two weeks later and we're starting to get the hang of feeding, I dread to think what would have happened if it had taken longer to diagnose. Breastfeeding was so painful I probably would have given up without help.

Signed. I don't know if it made the slight bit of difference but I had it down on my birth plan that I didn't want to be discharged without a TT check. The difficulty is, as the petition notes, that not all MWs are expert at spotting the issue.

Signed. Posterior tongue diagnosed at 3 weeks. And also thank you to knomester for that brilliant thread which forewarned and educated me about BFing. I bookmarked it and still send it to friends about to become first time mums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My brother and sister-in-law had a terrible time with their tongue-tied baby. It was several months before TT was diagnosed, despite mum and grandfather having been born with same condition. Baby of course lost weight and cried

constantly as he was hungry, sister-in-law bullied about breastfeeding by health visitors. Nightmare. Finally found

a saviour in a breastfeeding advisor at Kings - don't know if she's still there as this was nearly 5 years ago. She

spotted the problem and arranged the snip within a day or two but what a huge, avoidable misery...

Thanks Knomester, and thanks for your kind offer - I'll let you know. I went through the same thing with my son (late diagnosis of TT which lead to not being able to breastfeed) so am really keen to get her some help. She has mentioned TT to her midwife and GP but neither have checked her new son and don't seem to be taking her seriously. I've told her to try and get hold of a lactation consultant but don't know how else to help her as she lives in Dublin.

Bonfire 2010 - was in exactly the same position of trying to glean info from the EDF to help a friend in Dublin who was having enormous BF-ing issues, but actually they went back into the hospital (I dont know which one, Holles St I'd imagine) and the team there spent 2 hours with them looking at latch and technique etc. I can't remember what the underlying problem was, or if they ever found it, but they decided to bottle feed. But what I am trying to say in a round about way is that there should be help and support available.

Happy to find who they saw/where they went if that helps?

Have also signed the petition btw.